Lower Backspacing=Weaker Axles??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lower Backspacing=Weaker Axles???

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

Lower Backspacing=Weaker Axles???

I have been debating Cragar Soft 8's or maybe just a nice Wheel Spacer Kit, and they got me thinking physics (never a good thing ).

Lets say you have a 93-95 ZJ (Dana 35 rear, stock)
Lets also say you keep the same tire size.

You still have the same force distribution from the road on your tires (since your ZJ still weighs the same). But now that force is applied 1.25" to 2" further out than it was before. Doesn't sound like much, but when you consider that the nearest downward (vertical) force on the axle (wheel bearing) is only 8" or so away....

What is it? Torque=Force*Radius? (90deg angle, so the cross product is just multiplied)

... so an increase in the radius of 25% (8" to 10") increases the torque by 25%.

This means that the axle is about 25% more likely to snap when experiencing a high load.

Right???

Should I be worried about a higher propensity for my 15 yr old Dana 35 axles to snap? What about shearing (torsion)? I think the equation for torsion is similar, yeilding a similar increase, but that gets into other (more complicated) stuff...

let the debate begin!

or maybe just polite conversation... either is fine with me.....

'93 5.2L V8, Laredo, 242 TC swapped from a 249, 3" Coils up front and Front coils in the Rear, JKS Adjustable Track bar, K&N Cold Air Intake with Amsoil filter, Rear cargo area shelving, and KOR's Steering Gear Brace, IRO's Over-The-Knuckle Steering, Top Light Rail, Top Tire Carrier... for now...
OR If you prefer acronyms: 93 5.2 V8, 249>242, 3" FC, ~2" RC, JKS Adj. TB w/ KOR TB Bracket, K&N CIA w/ Amsoil filter, Shelves, KOR SB, IRO OTK HD steering
amonostereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
BlackShuck
2001 WJ 

From what I've read, the new backspacing might stress your ball joints more. But I don't think I've ever read anything about snapping an axle because of adding spacers or soft 8's.
Utah Jeep Crew #8
FS: Rear wind deflectors || || Stock OEM Air Box Set Up
BlackShuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Bort62

You're half correct.

You increase the lever arm when you go to a longer track width. However, the lever you are worried about here is between the center line of the tire (assuming the force is evenly distributed) and the wheel bearing.

This distance is not large to start with, and adding 2" to it certainly substantially increases the bending moment in the axle shaft at that end.

However, that isn't really a concern area. How many axles sheer off from a radial load? With the ability of a relatively soft tire to absorb the energy of any radial impact, the dynamic radial loads on the axle are inconsequential.

The concern with axle failure is torsional, and while lengthening the axle shaft will make it less torsionally stiff, it doesn't effect it's strength.

Putting spacers on also subjects the axle housing to a larger moment, but again - the loads there just aren't that large to begin with.
Bort62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
BigDaveZJ
1995 ZJ 

Dude, it's a Dana 35. It'll break anyways. Don't worry about it.
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
ZJTechie
1997 ZJ 

Bort62 is correct, but to that I have to add the sheer number of jeepers that use wheels like this all the time with wheel spacings amounting to the 2" or more if increased stance on each side. If an axle is going to break, it will be due to the shearing stresses caused by the torque going through the shaft as the tire rotates, not by the bending moment caused by the smaller backspacing. Wheeling with larger tires will cause that larger torque, but simply having a wider stance with those soft 8's isn't going to kill your axles with the bending moment, provided you don't go obscene by getting a 2" backspacing.

My current JEEP score: 205 (see site below)
http://jeepboard.com/jeeprate.htm
ZJTechie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.