Low speed first to second hunting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Low speed first to second hunting

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
pwething
1998 ZJ 

Low speed first to second hunting

Alright guys I have tried as many words and phrases as I can think of in the search bar, but cannot find my symptom.

First, I have made sure my transmission is hot and in neutral, and yes it is full and in good condition. I have also adjusted my tv cable.

It happens at low speeds (under 10 mph or climbing hills), I will be just driving along and all of a sudden the transmission doesn't know if it should choose first or second. It feels like a buddy shaking you back and forth. the fluid is full and in very good condition.

This is my first jeep and I have been tuning the darn thing like crazy. I almost have it dialed in but this issue is really bugging me and I think it is an electrical due to it's meticulous maintenance history that is about two inches thick.

It only does it every now and then.

pwething is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

HARSH 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 OR 3-2 SHIFTS - Lockup Solenoid Malfunction. Remove valve body and replace solenoid assembly.

SHIFTS DELAYED OR ERRATIC (SHIFTS ALSO HARSH AT TIMES)
1. Fluid Level Low/High. 1. Correct fluid level and check for leaks if low.
2. Fluid Filter Clogged. 2. Replace filter. If filter and fluid contained clutch material or metal particles, an overhaul may be necessary. Perform lube flow test.
3. Throttle Linkage Misadjusted. 3. Adjust linkage as described in service section.
4. Throttle Linkage Binding. 4. Check cable for binding. Check for return to closed throttle at transmission.
5. Gearshift Linkage/Cable Misadjusted. 5. Adjust linkage/cable as described in service section.
6. Clutch or Servo Failure. 6. Remove valve body and air test clutch, and band servo operation. Disassemble and repair transmission as needed.
7. Governor Circuit Electrical Fault. 7. Test using DRB and repair as required.
8. Front Band Misadjusted. 8. Adjust band.
9. Pump Suction Passage Leak. 9. Check for excessive foam on dipstick after normal driving. Check for loose pump bolts, defective gasket. Replace
pump assembly if needed.

This is the approach I would take, mostly because i hate spending money on a vehicle.

You may be on the right track with your electrical suspicions. Disconnect battery, and clean PCM connectors as described in when you click the green link below (#1). Then clean the connector on top of the transmission.

I would check all cable adjustments. Pay particular attention to the throttle valve at the transmission. Adjustment doesnt mean anything if the lever is sticking.

If none of that works out, time to drop the pan and replace the solenoids and sensor if you dont see any signs of mechanical failure.

There are also some springs in the valve body that are easy to check/change at this point, but i cant help you there.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
pwething
1998 ZJ 

Thanks a lot zeejay1997 this is very similar to the path that I was going to take but much more detail and some extras. It will take a a while to go threw the list but I will keep you posted.
pwething is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.