Low Oil, white smoke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Low Oil, white smoke

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
JamesLouis
1996 ZJ 

Low Oil, white smoke

I've had around 10 vehicles, purchased all from private sellers, and of course this is the time I somehow forget to check the oil before I buy the jeep. I checked the oil level and there was NONE on the dipstick. I then drained the oil to see how much was actually in there; turned out to be 1.5 qts or so. Awesome, huh? So I put 5 qts in and started it up, lots of white smoke came out and some water dripped from the tailpipe. I'm guessing this means I have a blown head gasket and there is oil being burned in the piston cylinder? Might there be some other reason? I should also mention that after I started it up I drove it about 2 miles and came back and no more white smoke. I'm about to go for another ride to see if it comes back after I let it cool (I believe the thermal contraction of the fluids might pull some more oil back in if there is a leak). Any ideas/input?

Unread 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

Drive it and keep a check on the oil level. See what it does. You could do a compression check if you really want to check something.
IslandManMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

if its a v8 zj, its probably the pan gasket
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
JamesLouis
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek View Post
if its a v8 zj, its probably the pan gasket
Sorry, it's a 99 V8 WJ. By pan do you mean oil pan? I did notice it looked a little oiled around where the oil pan meets whatever it's mounted to but it wasn't wet by any means. Can't imagine the 4qts leaking out there. Plus the oil filter looked new and is why I'm baffled. Although, with the things I've been finding I wouldn't be surprised if he just changed the filter to make it look like it had been well maintained. What a ****.
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

sounds like head gaskets then, the pan gasket was only the 5.2 and 5.9 in the 1993-1998 zj
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

Could be worn valves or rings if the PO kept it that low for any signifcant amount of time. Keep an eye on it for a week or so, then if problems still are present have a compression test done.
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
JamesLouis
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_da_jpr View Post
Could be worn valves or rings if the PO kept it that low for any signifcant amount of time. Keep an eye on it for a week or so, then if problems still are present have a compression test done.
After the initial cloud of smoke and condensation drip from the exhaust I haven't had any problems. Amazing what taking care of your vehicle will do. When I got this jeep it had a shifting problem (speed output sensor fixed that), a leaking radiator of about 60 drops per minute (alumasealed it, no leaks), vibrating during high speeds/stopping (replaced rotors) and a heater core problem which will not be so easily solved but still a cheap fix. Paid $2k for the Jeep and will have fixed everything for about $250. Wahoo.
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

I love cheap used vehicles that need a couple things. Can't beat it.
Unread 10-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
JamesLouis
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_da_jpr View Post
I love cheap used vehicles that need a couple things. Can't beat it.
I like my vehicles like I like my women, cheap and broken.
Unread 10-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
littlefdl
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLouis View Post
I like my vehicles like I like my women, cheap and broken.
i agree i agree
littlefdl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.