Low oil Pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Low oil Pressure

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 12-27-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
doghouse1212

Low oil Pressure

This is my first time on the forum so I'll try not to bore anyone. I just bught a 99 Grand Cherokee V8, I have started getting a check gauges lite. It on beacuse at an idle the oil pressure is real low. Any simple fix ideas aside from the oil pump??

doghouse1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2004, 02:09 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Just out of idle curiosity, how many posts does one have to have before he is allowed to bore people?

Your problem is most likely not the oil pump. The first thing to check is, of course, your oil level. If it is full, then the most likely culprit is the oil pressure sending unit. Which should be located on the forward end of the engine block just above the oil filter on your Jeep.

HTH
Unread 12-27-2004, 05:12 PM   #3
cajunmudder

yeah i had the same problem last week. I checked the sending unit and there was oil everywhere and it was spinning around so i replaced it and it works great.
Visonik 12" Sub
Custom Fiberglass Box
MA Audio M1889i Amp
Magnaflow Exhaust
Rusty's 2" BB
Dunlop 265/75/16 mud rovers
[/COLOR]
cajunmudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2004, 05:29 PM   #4
nagos420

Just replaced mine too, its most likely your problem also
nagos420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #5
97grand

Optimally, how high should the oil pressure be?

[COLOR=darkgreen]'91 Taurus SHO+ - Deep Jewel Green [/COLOR]

[COLOR=red] '05 Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red[/COLOR]

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer[/I]
97grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2004, 12:46 PM   #6
mr_user

I found that when the oil gets up to temp, which is a bit longer than when your engine gauge gets to temp, the oil pressure should be somewhere around 40/50. On the highway 60-65 for me is not uncommon.

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.