Low Mileage ZJ or High Mileage WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Low Mileage ZJ or High Mileage WJ

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
UofOJeeper
1998 ZJ 

Low Mileage ZJ or High Mileage WJ

Good afternoon! I haven't been around much since school has kept me really busy, but now I am in need of some Jeep advice.

I currently am the second owner of a 1995 Grand Cherokee 4.0L. It just turned 90k miles. All major mechanical components are original and functioning as intended (including the viscous coupler). The original owner kept extensive service records and since I have owned it, I have done a fair share of maintenance also including motors mounts, new heater core, new tires, brakes all around. Basically this Jeep is clean as could be and in excellent mechanical condition with the exception of a very slight rear main seal leak (but this is of little bother to me). With the current market in the Northwest, I should be able to get $4k for my grand (maybe more if I am lucky).

I have been presented with the opportunity to buy a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited through my work. It is also a one owner vehicle but with 99k miles. It was faithfully serviced and maintained while being driven 20k miles a year. It is fully loaded and really clean! One of my privileges at work, is being able to buy vehicles at wholesale price. I haven't received the final number yet, but most likely it will be somewhere around $8000.

My dad is encouraging me to make the purchase because I will be advancing 10 in technology. I am aware of most of the pitfalls with the ZJs and WJs and realize that more features/electronics can lead to more issues.

What are you guys thoughts? Should i stick with what i know or make the step up into the WJ? I would REALLY enjoy driving the V8 even though my 4.slow has served me well.

"A man who asks no questions, rarely has any answers"
UofOJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

i personally would stay with the zj. i love mine and will not consider a new vehicle until i have the money to keep it along with the new vehicle. but that wj sounds like a good buy too. it just depends on what you want to do/spend. the ~$4000 for the wj is a lot for a college kid which is another reason i wont get rid of my zj.
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
bobotech
1993 ZJ 

I would just keep the money and keep your ZJ. I really can't see someone paying 4k for a 4.0L 95 ZJ even with 90k. I just bought my 93 ZJ with the 5.2 for 1400 with 130k and I felt like it wasn't the best deal in the world.

I see 95s like yours all day long for 2500-3000 these days albeit usually with more miles but still. 4k for a 95 is a high asking price with the way gas is priced and its only going to get worse.

THe 95 sounds like its a great truck, unless you need someting from the 2004, stick with the ZJ.
bobotech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
UofOJeeper
1998 ZJ 

Just got off the phone.. looks like the WJ is mine for $7700

Quote:
i personally would stay with the zj. i love mine and will not consider a new vehicle until i have the money to keep it along with the new vehicle. but that wj sounds like a good buy too. it just depends on what you want to do/spend. the ~$4000 for the wj is a lot for a college kid which is another reason i wont get rid of my zj.
I personally won't be putting the money out of pocket for the upgrade. I have a different vehicle that I own and pay to maintain. The ZJ is mostly driven by my sister, but it is one of our "family vehicles". My dad believes it is a wise investment because it is a newer safer vehicle with side and curtain airbags. But he values my opinion on the matter since he is less knowledgeable about jeeps/cars in general.

Unread 06-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
Slummin
2004 WJ 

I don't think 7700 is THAT great a deal for the WJ with those miles. Not bad, but I know I could buy one for that without looking too hard.

The WJ drives better and looks better. It will likely get the same mpg but have V8 power and all of the newer toys. It would be the one I would rather drive.
Slummin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Personally, I would go with the WJ. The mileage is going to be about the same as the 4.0, and you'll really enjoy driving the 4.7. It sounds like a very good deal, and if you plan on driving one or the other for a very long time, you'll get a few more years out of the WJ without putting quite as much money into it. Not to say you couldn't drive the ZJ for another ten years, because you absolutely could, but with the ZJ I think you may start running into parts failing due to old age, even with the low miles.
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
UofOJeeper
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slummin View Post
I don't think 7700 is THAT great a deal for the WJ with those miles. Not bad, but I know I could buy one for that without looking too hard.
Really? I know that WJs can be had for really cheap especially with gas the way it is, but a 2004 Limited V8, one owner, no rust for that price??

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Not to say you couldn't drive the ZJ for another ten years, because you absolutely could, but with the ZJ I think you may start running into parts failing due to old age, even with the low miles.
This is one of my fears. I know that the 4.slow is extremely robust. But Jeep electronics are not. I am also aware that my 249TC/Viscous coupler is a ticking time bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobotech View Post
I would just keep the money and keep your ZJ. I really can't see someone paying 4k for a 4.0L 95 ZJ even with 90k. I just bought my 93 ZJ with the 5.2 for 1400 with 130k and I felt like it wasn't the best deal in the world.

I see 95s like yours all day long for 2500-3000 these days albeit usually with more miles but still. 4k for a 95 is a high asking price with the way gas is priced and its only going to get worse.

THe 95 sounds like its a great truck, unless you need someting from the 2004, stick with the ZJ.
The northwest tends to have a higher price in the jeep market from what I have noticed. I have seen a fair share of those "$1400" ZJs and have almost bought a few. My ZJ is not a "fixer upper". Its ready to go.

Unread 06-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slummin View Post
Not a 2004. 2004's still go for $10,000 right now.

I'd probably take the WJ. It's just a better vehicle. The ZJ's are great Jeeps too, but the WJ seems more refined than the ZJ, you'll have fewer problems with it as it ages than you would with a ZJ. Plus the 545rfe is a much better transmission.
Unread 06-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

What transfer case is in the WJ?
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
UofOJeeper
1998 ZJ 

Quadra Drive - 247

Unread 06-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
XJRidinHigh
2000 WJ 

Dude go for it. Jeeps like that up here in the Northeast go for 12 grand and more. I just bought my '00 WJ Limited with 180,000 miles for $2900 so Id say you got a great deal as did I ;-).

[B]'00 WJ[/B]-Tan
Cocked and Loaded ([B]DD[/B])
XJRidinHigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
jeepheller98
1998 ZJ 

if you wheel ZJ. if not WJ i have a 98 zj that i will run untill it sets fire, my sister has an 04 wj and shes worried about scratching it

plus most of the kinks were worked out by 04 i say for you go WJ
Unread 06-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
bunjy1
1999 WJ 

WJ all the way, miles dont mean much its how the vehicle was driven and taken care of that you need to look at but if you have the money dont mind higher insurance then go for the WJ in Canada they have gone down in price huge i have a 99 and i could maybe get like 3500 for it with about 95k miles on it, so if i was you WJ
bunjy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #14
manofmany
1999 WJ 

I'd go for the WJ. When it's all said and done you'll be much happier with the quality vehicle you own.
Unread 06-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
UofOJeeper
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the opinions and thoughts. It looks like I am going to try and make this work, but a few things need to fall into place before that can happen. Most importantly, I need to find a buyer for my Jeep. If anyone knows any Portland area folks looking for a REALLY clean ZJ i will guarantee they won't be disappointed!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.