Low fuel, wont shift.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Low fuel, wont shift....

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Twistlok835

Low fuel, wont shift....

My wife owns a '99 jeep grand cherokee with an odd problem.
When the gas gets to low, and the warning light comes on, the jeep winds out in low gear (automatic) and wont shift up.
When she first told me about this, i said she was crazy. the gas gauge has nothing to do with the transmission.
It has since been proven on a few occasions. sure enough, stop and gas up, problem goes away.
We did have the pcm replaced recently. could that have anything to do with it?

Twistlok835 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Ok this is really weird!

Obviously for now fill up once the tank has 1/8 of a tank of gas left in it. Donít wait for that light to come on.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

If it were my Jeep I would not be driving it. That is a really unusual problem.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
scribble5
1999 WJ 

I have the same problem, had it for a few years. I have no idea how to fix it. If the fuel gets to about an 1/8th of a tank, and I switch off the engine. When it comes back on again,the automatic transmission only shifts to secnd gear. Thus I can only go 40 kilometres an hour. Very difficult to get to a gas station if it is not close. After the fillup, I am fine again. I noticed that another person here has the same problem with the Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999. Mine is also 1999.

Anyone else know about this?
scribble5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
worsrider4047
1998 ZJ 

I have the same issue with my niner, drives me crazy cause it won't go out of first gear till I get gas,
worsrider4047 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
gman846

stuck in first gear low on fuel

I have been working on a 99 grand cherokee laredo that has this problem. When the fuel light comes on the next time I start it without fueling up first, the transmission will not upshift past first gear. Put fuel in it and it's fine again.
If I park facing up hill or lift the front of the vehicle at least 35 degrees I can then restart the vehicle and it will shift fine. By doing this I thought about the float in the tank being electrical and all. I removed the fuel tank and pump and discovered that the float had a burnt mark on the circuit board.
This leads me to believe that if I replace the float on the fuel pump the problem will be solved.
gman846 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Is it because it's picking up the water in the bottom of the tank, possibly causing a misfire, then sending the signal to the tranny NOT to shift?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.