low coolant message - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > low coolant message

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 01-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
RFisher

low coolant message

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 engine.

I started engine and got this message "Low Coolant Level". Added coolant to bottle but message did not disappear until after I stopped engine and later came back to restart.

I want to make sure something is not wrong, so drove vehicle for 15 minutes and temp is 200 on gauge, stopped and inspected bottle is still full. Upper hose is hot but I can hold it, radiator cap on opposite side of radiator is cold. Lower hose is cold also and metal part attached to engine is only luke warm. Seems to be not flowing hot coolant from upper hose through the radiator. I ran engine idle for additional 5 minutes idle and temp is 200 on gauge still, and hoses feel the same, and radiator cap is same.

Last month I had the coolant flushed and dealer recalled the electric fan to replace it.

Can someone tell me does this sound normal? I am concerned because apparently I lossed coolant out of overflow bottle, it was empty.

RFisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
1star2

I had this same problem on my '02 and it turned out to be the water pump was bad. Might want to check that.
1star2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
RFisher

water pump

How can i check water pump?

Also, i did some research on here and think that the T-stat is on lower hose. If that is correct it would seem the temp is not hot enough for T-stat to open. I touch the metal housing around lower hose and it is barely warm. Why after 20 mins of running it is barely warm I do not understand.
Unread 01-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
JeepZJ94
1994 ZJ 

To check the water pump you could take the serpentine belt off and try to wiggle the shaft or do what i do with parts and just replace them cause sooner or later it will need to be replaced. I'm not really sure if you can check the water pump that way but i think that is one way.

1994 Jeep ZJ. 5.2L Engine, 3.5" Lift. 15x7 Steel Wheels w/BFG AT's, Push bar with 6" lights. Factory tow package. Bigger tires to come and much more.
RnR 4x4 Club
JeepZJ94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
RFisher

thermostat

seems to me if housing around thermostat is not hot, then coolant will not be able to flow anyway. Thermostat is in the lower hose correct? If so, how long does it take for it to get hot enough to open? Or, is it normal for lower hose assy to be only barely warm to touch. This is my case even when temp gauge is at normal for 10 minutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.