loud sound from wheel area when accelerating or braking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > loud sound from wheel area when accelerating or braking

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, Skids

Unread 03-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
grantr
1995 ZJ 

loud sound from wheel area when accelerating or braking

hi all,

ive been noticing a loud sound , like thud or metal hitting metal. that happens occasionally when i accelerate or brake. the sound is coming from the front passenger wheel. a similar sound was happening a while back after i changed my front brake pads, it sounded like the pads were shifting, but i never fixed the problem and until last week the sound went completely away.

heres a thread i posted about the problem i had earlier (even though i am uncertain if this is even the same issue at all)...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...cking-1333039/

since the sound is happening now when i start to accelerate, im sort of ruling out the brake thing. there isnt any noticeable change in suspension or steering, but thats just going by feel.

i know i dont have a ton of details, but any help is greatly appreciated, and im happy to answer any questions.

thanks!

grantr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

Jack your front end up check the ball joints while its up and more importantly check the wheel bearings for play. If thats not it take the wheel off actually check out both front brakes and also check out the condition of your front axel u joints not the drive shaft the u joints on each side of the axel
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Do you have U-joint axles? Calipers nice and tight? It could still be a brake issue, when you accelerate you're letting off the brakes and something could be moving around. Do you have little notches in the knuckle where the pads sit?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
grantr
1995 ZJ 

the brakes seem nice and tight. it definitely sounds like a wheel thing not so much a brake thing, and even if im coasting for a while before i accelerate, it will make the noise when i hit gas. my hydraulic jack broke, must have frozen over the winter, so i need to replace it before i inspect it again

i do want to mention that a couple of years ago i ripped my CV boot and it was driven for too long than i care to admit before i cleaned out the joint and repacked it. dont know it thats the case but ill check all that soon.
grantr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #5
joeazzj

Make sure you you have both bolts on caliper mine fell out and you hear a clunk (the caliper hitting the rim ) that's just from my experience.

97' zj stock till I buy up all my goodies ! 318 242 waiting to go in .
joeazzj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.