Loud pop when turning hard - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Loud pop when turning hard

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-03-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
freak4jeeps

Loud pop when turning hard

Well I fixed my transfercase problems, I got the rod ,with the linkage attached to it, end with the grommet on it back into the hole its supposed to be in. Found out I can get the 31's on just need to trim the bumper. Its been a good day. Then god strikes me down with his wraith. I'm driven along after I fixed the linkage rod for my transfercase so I decided to pop it in 4w part time and 4w high, and I get a kind of loud noise almost like I have a large hole in my exhaust. When I put it back into 2w is goes away after a few minutes or after I hit a bump in the road. And when I turn my wheel hard to park in a parking spot, I get a bad pop, bad enough I looked under my jeep to see if something just fell of and got stuck on the ground, and the wheel jerks a bit. I think I did alot more damage last Sunday then I first thought.

Any ieas?

Thanks, J

[URL=http://www.newenglandjeepz.com]New England Jeepz[/URL]
freak4jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2003, 05:43 PM   #2
PDshooter

Do you have .........U-joints on the front,or C.V joints ?
Sounds like a C.V joint?
MOS 63H 11B 43E
PDshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2003, 08:33 PM   #3
DrewT

I've had this problem bofore, don't know what it is, but I found out that if you make shure you are moving when you shift the TC in and out of 4WD, then it helps. If it stays that way, then put the TC into 4part time, then back into 2hi, again while moving. putting it in neutral and rolling, and reversing also help. I think it is just a funky thing with the TC.

If you find out what it is, let me know, since mine may be broken too...

-Drew
DrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2003, 11:28 PM   #4
AzSun

loud pop when turning hard

I heard a loud pop this past weekend after a snow storm here. I had recently used part time and full time 4WD. When I heard the pop I was in Full time 4WD when turning hard and parking. I suspect the Jeep is still in part time mode and never did come out after shifting thru 2WD, part time, full time, running in reverse through the gears and everything I could think of to get it out of part time mode.
This weekend I am crawling under it to check linkage, solenoids and rusty hubs. My 2WD milage is down from 18MPG to 13MPG and does not change when in 4WD. My front tires are wearing like crazy after this past week. So I strongly suspect my hubs are still locked in the Select-A-Trac Part Time mode even though I have 2WD selected.
AzSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2003, 07:26 PM   #5
det69

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzSun
I heard a loud pop this past weekend after a snow storm here. I had recently used part time and full time 4WD. When I heard the pop I was in Full time 4WD when turning hard and parking. I suspect the Jeep is still in part time mode and never did come out after shifting thru 2WD, part time, full time, running in reverse through the gears and everything I could think of to get it out of part time mode.
This weekend I am crawling under it to check linkage, solenoids and rusty hubs. My 2WD milage is down from 18MPG to 13MPG and does not change when in 4WD. My front tires are wearing like crazy after this past week. So I strongly suspect my hubs are still locked in the Select-A-Trac Part Time mode even though I have 2WD selected.
AzSun,

Please let me know what you find. I just purchased an 04 and was out playing today and had the same problem. I think it was because I went from part-time to full and the system didn't have time to engage or switch over. Immediately after the shift I made a hard left turn from a soft to hard surface and heard a terrible pop. I immediately stopped and checked out the drive train and didn't notice any visable damage. I am not real worried that any serious damage was done but I will be VERY cautious from now on and ensure the system has switched. I ensured that all the ranges still worked, on soft surfaces of course, following the incident. All seems fine and I am confident that mine did in fact switch back into 2wd. For my piece of mind I power braked in the mud to ensure it was in 4wd and did the same in 2wd.
det69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
AzSun

loud pop when turning hard

I never did make it under the Jeep this past weekend as I had corrected the problem by playing around in reverse (straight line on hard surface) and running thru 2wd - 4wd. but guess what, this morning it was back again for no reason. I am in 2wd mode, i.e. only the rear tires get power, but the front hubs are engaged again this morning, turning all that extra gear up to the transfer case causing tire wear and poor milage. I called Jeep and they said either linkage or solenoid. I highly suspect linkage now since I was able to get the hubs disengaged. Good news is I no longer suspect a high dollar problem.
I have asked a few other JEEP GC friends and they report similar issues. I am also hearing more about hard 4WD selection at a stop and now I know these Jeeps like it better to shift in and out of 4WD while moving (except in/out of 4WD-Lo). I wonder if this hard shifting at a stop is related to causing these problems with the front gear staying engaged. You know, if it doesn't go, force it, if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway philosophy?
AzSun is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.