Loud noise at 65mph - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-05-2005, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock1127

Loud noise at 65mph

When driving home from a friend's on friday night, I was on the interstate going about 70mph. A point in the road came where it went downhill slightly, so I gained a bit of accelleration, to about 75. Well between then and home I got it up to just under 80. At this point, my engine (or something) suddenly got really loud and it "felt" different. It wasn't any harder to handle, but it vibrated a good bit more and was easily twice as loud. I let off the gas right away and after decellerating to around 60, the noise went away and it drove really smooth once again. After that, it now does this "vibration/noise? whenever I hit 65mph. The noise is coming from the engine area I know, but i'm not 100% positive if it's the engine itself or part of the drivetrain. At first I thought it was my transmission, but it doesn't occurr when shifting into a new gear, just right around 65mph. It sounds almost like something it hitting something else, but if that's the case, why does it only start at 65mph?

It's pretty hard to explain, so I know it will be equally hard to diagnose. But like I said, it doesn't really handle any worse than normal, but the sound gets incredibly loud and it vibrates a bit more. It didn't do this before, and the other night was the first time I had gotten this engine up to around 80mph (first time I had driven it on interstate late at night since engine replacement).

On my way home today from the same friend's house, it did it again, but I just kept the gas at around 70mph and rode all the way to my exit with the sound present. It didn't seem to hurt it at all or anything, but it definately shouldn't be making that noise.

Any help would be appreciated, as I have not the slightest idea where to start looking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-05-2005, 05:51 PM
driabyor

1994 ZJ 

tire going bad maybe..

maybe an accessory going bad

94 Grand Cherokee ... 332,000 miles
5.2 liter 242 :)
Rancho 5000 steering stabilizer
post #3 of 16 Old 09-05-2005, 05:52 PM
mr_user

Sounds that only arise at certain speeds in very controlled conditions usually aren't anything too serious. My guess goes to wheel bearings, but it is difficult to diagnose because we don't know exactly what this "noise" is.

Other than that maybe the oscillations of your tires at that speed are creating more vibration than usual, but even still that is a long shot.

See if you can describe the noise a bit better and we'll see what we find.

Matt

Old: '96 ZJ 4.0, 32" MT/R's, 4.5" Lift, Mickey Thompsons, JKS Disco's

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now

post #4 of 16 Old 09-05-2005, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock1127

Alright, i'll give it a go.

As I was driving, the engine was normally pretty loud with it being an early jeep (1993). I was going a good 75 like I said, and when I hit 80ish, the noise began. The noise sounds like i'm driving on a really bumpy/incredibly rough pavement. It starts pretty much exactly at 65mph. I don't think it's the tires because it was so sudden. I mean, literally, one second it was doing great, the next the noise just happened.

Like I said, the noise comes from up front somewhere. If I want it to stop, I decellerate to below 65 and it goes away. If I accellerate right away again to over 65mph, it comes right back. But yeah, it sounds almost exactly like i'm driving on really old/rough pavement when it actuallity, the pavement is almost brand new. Tires all have less than 5000 miles on them.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Stocker

All but impossible to diagnose over the 'net, but my guess is u-joint, or possibly cv joint.

1995 5.2 ZJ Sold... but still in the family
Stocker
post #6 of 16 Old 09-05-2005, 08:30 PM
mr_user

Yeah this is a tough one..

My bet is wheel bearings, although that noise would be consistent throughout a range of speeds. Perhaps your diff carrier is whining up front?

Old: '96 ZJ 4.0, 32" MT/R's, 4.5" Lift, Mickey Thompsons, JKS Disco's

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
post #7 of 16 Old 09-06-2005, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock1127

It's a RWD, sorry for not being more specific.

Noise is still there, but it seems to not affect anything while driving...although i'd hate to just keep driving on the interstate with it doing that noise and find out a few months from now that it was something major and will be a ton to fix later.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-06-2005, 09:15 PM
ss95grand

From more than one past experience. I'd say to take a look at those U-joints. It sounds like a good possibility. Is there Any vibration below 65-70 that smooths out as soon as you let off the gas? Then comes right back when you put your foot back on the gas? That's a dead give away that a u-joint is bad. Check it out. U-joints are cheap.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-07-2005, 04:07 AM
MtnbikerWJ

2004 WJ 

Maybe a tire balance problem, may want to give that a try too.

04' WJ Laredo 4.0L 4x4
245/75-16 GY MTR's
Rusty's 2" BB
ARB Bull Bar with Piaa 520 drivings, no winch yet though
Kenwood Headunit, Kenwood Sirius Reciever, RF Punch p2002 Amp, RF Punch 10" Sub enclosure
Hypertech power programmer
K&N 77 series FIPK
Flowmaster 50 SUV
Magnaflow Cat
next gears and lsd's and OME coils

Colorado Jeep Club Member #14
White Jeep Club Member #114
post #10 of 16 Old 09-07-2005, 04:58 AM
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

If your ZJ is all wheel drive, I have found that a real high speeds on older Jeeps they kind of resonate at those speeds. I don't think that it is anything serious, just a lot of worn parts, maybe in the t-case. Mine has 201,000 on it and it does the same thing, been doing it for a long time and nothing has broken yet, just more of an annoyance than anything.

Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep Technician 14 Years
ASE Master Certified
L1 Advanced Engine Performance
post #11 of 16 Old 09-07-2005, 04:17 PM
ashy22
2005 WK 

It sounds like it could be a wheel bearing at the front.
It can make an awful grinding drone whiney noise when at higher speeds (mine did) and can cause a little vibration at the steering wheel. Mine started doing it on highways above 65mph but as time went on it was doing it at 40mph+.
You couldn't really notice it in city traffic - untill I had it fixed - then what a difference! It seemed like I was driving a new car again.

2005 GC 5.7 Hemi(WH-Export)QDII
1971 Corvette 454
1969 Plymouth RR 383
post #12 of 16 Old 09-07-2005, 06:27 PM
greasefingers

1994 ZJ 

At the very least, you should rotate the front tires with the back ones to eliminate a tire issue. If that does not help then crawl under there and turn every drive train component that moves, with your hands, to see if a CV or aU-joint, or has play in it. Then jack up the front end and grab the tires at 9 and 3 o’clock. Rock it back and forth. Also at 12 and 6 o’clock. See if the wheel bearing has any movement.

Cheers Steve

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
post #13 of 16 Old 09-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
crawl under there and turn every drive train component that moves, with your hands, to see if a CV or aU-joint, or has play in it.
Not a bad idea, but I have had bad u-joints that I was unable to move by hand. With the vehicle on a lift and someone inside to start it, put it in gear, and get the driveline spinning, it can be very easy to find the bad u-joint.

1995 5.2 ZJ Sold... but still in the family
Stocker
post #14 of 16 Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 PM
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

This used to happen to me in my Cherokee when the clutch fan was dying. It spit out all it's lube, along with a few ball bearings, and then it would lock up at high RPMs. I could prevent it from happening by lubing the seal on the back of the fan clutch, getting as much inside as I could. Maybe, for whatever reason, your fan clutch is locking up at high speeds?
post #15 of 16 Old 03-26-2009, 10:06 PM
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

sounds very much like a tire balance issue, relativley cheap to rule-out. Like he said, rotate front to the back then test drive.
good call on the u-joints, though. Ive heard of that from freinds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.