Loud Continues Pop Under Acceleration; Read what I've Done, still need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Loud Continues Pop Under Acceleration; Read what I've Done, still need help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Loud Continues Pop Under Acceleration; Read what I've Done, still need help

Some back story: Last month I went wheeling with a friend, got my jeep stuck in a mud pit for around 30 minutes, got it pulled out and went on being happy. On the drive home my Jeep was feeling sluggish, as if it had a loss of power. When I got it home I changed front and rear differential fluids, and also changed the Trans fluid and filter, as all of these were under water. I didn't find any considerable amount of metal shavings in either axle or in the transmission. Also after this the transfer case began to leak at the rear main output for the drive shaft. I continued to drive the Jeep for the next few weeks. I went out of town for awhile leaving the Jeep parked in the garage.

When I came back and drove it I began to experience a loud continues popping sound, that seamed to be coming from the front end. I wasn't sure what was making the sound. I figured it was either;

1. Drive shaft
2. Transfer Case (I have the infamous NP249)
3. Differential

I pulled both drive shafts and inspected them. Replaced the front drive shaft u-joint:

I also replaced the rear seal on the transfer case while I was at it. Just finished this today, put it all back together and test drove it, still same popping sound.

One thing I did notice on the rear drive shaft was that the rear slip yoke had one chipped spline. I can't seam to find any way to replace that part except a junkyard.

So basically I'm just looking for any ideas of what else to check, I'm out of work atm and can't afford many new parts. I'm thinking I'm going to try changing the t-case fluid and re-filling, see if maybe it's messed up. I might also try and find a new rear drive shaft slip yoke. Any ideas of something I haven't thought of?

EDIT: Something I forgot to mention, the cv axle shafts in the front are both visually okay, no tears in the boots. Drivers side one was replaced around 5,000 miles ago, not sure about the passenger side.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Bump for help!

Sent from my couch using JeepForum app

Unread 08-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
jumphiggggg
1998 ZJ 

Double bump for ya bro!

Mod list: Fat Bob's BB 2", Summit Racing D-Ring 15" wheels, 31" Dynapro M/T, Ebay Smoked Headlights, Ebay smoked taillights, Muffler to tail pipe delete, and a hellaton of stickers...[/CENTER]
jumphiggggg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Made a video

Here's a video of the sound, still no-one?

Man it's times like these I really wish Ratmonkey was here, he'd know what do do...

Unread 08-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

The sound quality in that video is kind of deceiving. Sounds more like under hood noise rather then suspension. Fan hitting the shroud? Exhaust flowing freely? Ignition parts in good shape? You said it felt sluggish under acceleration so maybe the TPS? Mine sputtered/misfired when I goosed it from a stop when my TPS went out.

If everything else has checked out I would vote CV axle on the passenger side.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Mine makes a noise similar to that if I give it over 2/3 throttle from a dead stop. Initially I thought it was the fan hitting the shroud but now I'm not so sure. It doesn't sound as loud as yours though.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Popping sounds from the middle of the Jeep, while accelerating, is most commonly a stretched transfer case chain. In 4low, while climbing a steep hill or obstacle, you or a helper will see the T-Case jump at the same time it makes the noises.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
The sound quality in that video is kind of deceiving. Sounds more like under hood noise rather then suspension. Fan hitting the shroud? Exhaust flowing freely? Ignition parts in good shape? You said it felt sluggish under acceleration so maybe the TPS? Mine sputtered/misfired when I goosed it from a stop when my TPS went out.

If everything else has checked out I would vote CV axle on the passenger side.
I don't think it's the fan, but I will for sure check to make sure.

I know I need to do a tune up on the plugs and wires and pretty much everything, so maybe I will do that now to see if it helps.

I'll check the Tps the best I can. I don't think it does it in neutral, which is why I was thinking it was some sorta of suspension part and not the engine, thought when I get home I will rev it up in neutral and see if it is the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Popping sounds from the middle of the Jeep, while accelerating, is most commonly a stretched transfer case chain. In 4low, while climbing a steep hill or obstacle, you or a helper will see the T-Case jump at the same time it makes the noises.
This is kinda what I've been thinking, I'll have a friend drive it in my yard, we've got a few things I can have him climb in low, I'll check and see if the case moves with the popping.

Thanks for the input guys! I'm on vacation right now and didn't bring the Jeep, I'll check out all of these things and come back with the results and we'll see how much money I have to spend!

Unread 08-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
jumphiggggg
1998 ZJ 

Spending money.... Its a jeep thing xD hahaha

Mod list: Fat Bob's BB 2", Summit Racing D-Ring 15" wheels, 31" Dynapro M/T, Ebay Smoked Headlights, Ebay smoked taillights, Muffler to tail pipe delete, and a hellaton of stickers...[/CENTER]
jumphiggggg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

More diagnosing, starting to look like gears or spline? (video)

Alright guys I'm back, I took CJ7-Tim's advice and had my friend drive it around in low over a small bump to replicate the sound. I tried recording it but didn't get much on the recording, I cut it down to all that was usable and it's three seconds long.

As I watched the t-case it didn't seam to 'jump' as I expected it too, to me it looked more as if the splines (or gears, not exactly sure how these 249s are put together) were messed up on the front driveshaft output.

I know for sure the sound is coming from the transfer-case area, I'm thinking I may just need to drop the case out and disassemble it to find the root of the problem. Any ideas of another way to diagnose the problem before I disable my daily?

Also, on a side note, I've realized that this problem is my fault, as when the case started leaking, I didn't do anything about it. I let it leak for almost a month as I didn't have a 30mm socket to check the fluid level. So today I finally got the 30mm socket (I had to order it), I went and finally changed the fluid in the case. When i drained the old fluid, I was upset with myself to find was almost bone dry! Damn how stupid am I?? So basically I just screwed myself because I was too lazy to buy a socket!

:

Oh well, live and learn right?

Unread 08-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
Oh well, live and learn right?
Hopefully. I've met a lot of people that repeat the same mistakes.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

On my 96 4.0 I had bought the 6-pt 30mm impact socket (not that I'd use an impact) some years for checking the fluid in my 242. I even ground the inside beveled nose off the socket so it would fit tight up against the case in removing the thin bolt-head plugs.

Only had a very slight leak in the TC and I was good about checking the fluid level once in a while. Then the rubber plug blew out of the top of the case and slung all the fluid out of it before I even knew it. Was disheartened to see the fluid slung all over the bottom of the unibody and in checking/draining the fluid there was just a little bit in it full of metal shavings. With no lubrication the chain had stretched and ate up the inside of the case. Cost me $275 for a jy shelf unit 242 with a 60-90 day warranty. Hope this isn't your problem and just thought I'd pass it along.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Alright got out today and taped my phone to the underneath of my Jeep. My plan is to tear into the Jeep next week, maybe this weekend.

At 0:48 you can see the driveshaft kinda 'jiggle' as the truck pops a few times.

Unread 08-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

That's a great idea taping your phone under there and great video w/sound! Whatever that juttering is it doesn't look very good.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

At about 1:47 you can hear two snaps, and see the t-case move in a different direction. I suggest checking the chain.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.