loud clunking noise when driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > loud clunking noise when driving

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 06-13-2003, 10:06 AM   #1
atlien928
1996 ZJ 

loud clunking noise when driving

when i'm going over a bump or making sharp turns then my jeep makes a loud clunking noise from somewhere near the wheels in the front. any ideas what this could be?

atlien928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2003, 10:25 AM   #2
lambar
1996 ZJ 

I had some clunking noises a couple weeks ago. Turned out to be the sway bar link was disconnected, and rubbing up against the springs.
lambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Lots of things to check.

1. Sway bar links,
2. Trac bar
3. Steering box where it connects to the unibody
4. Shock mounts
5. small cat lodged in engine compartment

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2003, 12:20 PM   #4
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

Yeah, always check for small household pets in your engine compartment every time you change your oil.

Also, try picking up the anti-cat skid plate from quadratec.com... solved all my problems.

"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people
over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2003, 01:55 PM   #5
atlien928
1996 ZJ 

i looked under there and sure enough i saw this disconnected and the vertical piece rubbing the spring. what is it called and how much does it cost about to fix? could i do it myself or have the shop do it. i put it back in place, but i'm sure it will pop out again, must be broken some way.

thanks

Unread 06-13-2003, 02:05 PM   #6
lambar
1996 ZJ 

Thats your sway bar link, the verticle piece has sort of a cup on the end, and the piece where you see that screw has a ball end, where it sits nicely on the link. You can remove the link without causing any ill will to your car. People sometimes remove these links when they are hitting the trails (the more expierenced people here should be able to explain it better than me).

If I remember right, I think you need a ratchet, and a allen wrench to remove the bottom link (newbee mechanic)

They do sell a part called "quick disconnects" which allows you to easily remove the sway bar link when your going on the tough trails. I think they are around 80 bucks or so.

Last edited by lambar; 06-13-2003 at 02:07 PM..
lambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2003, 04:36 PM   #7
Stocker

Lambar's right, but IMO do not run without it connected when on the road; your handling will be affected, especially if you corner hard or need to suddenly swerve to avoid an obstacle (car, bike, kid, animal...). You disconnect it when you want more suspension flex.

Y'know, just looking at that pic makes me think the end link is bent. Don't have mine here right now to compare, but I think it should be straighter where it attaches to the sway bay.
Unread 06-16-2003, 11:40 AM   #8
jiggajeeps

I have the same problem. Just went out to look and my link is completely disconnected on the passenger side. This is a relatively easy and cheap fix, as I did it on my XJ last summer. You can purchase the link kit with all the necessary hardware for less than $50, if I remember correctly.

By the way, you may as well do both sides because you have to disconnect both sides to do the job. I learned this one the hard way

Good luck, I'll be doing the same thing tonight!
'04 KJ Sport, '98 5.9 Deep Slate, FIPK2, Mopar ECU, '93 XJ Country, '92 YJ 4.0 5speed
jiggajeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2003, 10:58 PM   #9
atlien928
1996 ZJ 

let me know how that install went. i have an appointment for my jeep to take it to the shop next monday, so i think i'm gona have them install it, my cheap tools made in taiwan i dont think can handle torque on those bolts haha

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.