Loud Clicking/popping noise from TC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Loud Clicking/popping noise from TC

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Danish
1994 ZJ 

Loud Clicking/popping noise from TC: With Video

Hi guys, this is my first post so be gentle! I have searched up and down for the answer to my question but have had little luck.

Here is whats going on, my ZJ runs and sounds great most of the time, just had the U joints and front drive shaft done seemed to be working great, but then I took off from a stop light yesterday and noticed what sounded like a popping noise coming from the Transfer case. I took her off road today and climbed some hills. The popping/clicking gets really really really bad when the jeep gets climbing (does not do it all the time just when there is a lot of torque going into the TC). Noticed it really bad when going in reverse back down the hill but only when I had pressure on the breaks. So my question is what do I do to fix it? Is it the whole TC or just some part of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wor0D...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Danish; 02-04-2013 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: added video link
Danish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Danish
1994 ZJ 

Here is the youtube link to the Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wor0D...ature=youtu.be
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
mac96zj
1996 ZJ 

You didn't say what kind of tc you have but I would say with much certainty that the chain inside your tc is DONE.
mac96zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Danish
1994 ZJ 

its a 249
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Danish
1994 ZJ 

And Thanks for the info..... Is replacing the chain a task or is it relatively easy to do?
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
mac96zj
1996 ZJ 

If you are mechanically inclined and feel comfortable pulling your tc its not that bad. If you want to keep the 249 then do the vc too! I would suggest swapping to a 242 or a 231 especially if you don't like the full time 4x4 and would like the option of 4x2. It would be easier to do just a swap too, check out the sticky for the tc swap it will give you all the info you would need to do a swap.
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
Danish
1994 ZJ 

Thanks man, I do like the full time 4wheel, but its killer on tires and gas. Dono about doing the VC on my own, I am pretty good with stuff but that kinda freaks me out. I did the break master and the breaks this week as well as the front drive shaft. I kinda knew I was getting into a project vehicle, I got it for a killer price, and its not my daily driver so maybe I will take the jump and replace it.

When changing the VC and chain does the TC need to be out of the jeep, or can you just take off the back side of it?
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
mac96zj
1996 ZJ 

You have to pull it out but that's the easy part. There are a lot of parts inside that have to go back in the right order. Before trying a job like that I would do so searching there are a lot of threads out there with pics or find someone to help you that's done it before. Getting a rebuilt unit is not a bad idea if your having doubts because once you crack it open who knows what damage you may find and you should do a complete rebuild anyway. Plus just swapping is not too difficult and can be done in a day or two if you have a few problems. Having the 4x2 option wouldn't save you any mpg and excessive front tire wear is a sign of a bad vc. Before your tc took a dump if you ever noticed when turning sharply like in a parking lot that the front end bounced or the tires chirped then your vc was bad.
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Danish
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for the help man, I think I will prob just get a rebuilt one. Seems like the easiest way, and I found one for about the same as a new chain and a VC. Its a task, but needs to be done. I am up for the challenge though!

Tags
1994 zj , transfer case , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.