Lotsa heat coming from shifter knob area.. normal ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lotsa heat coming from shifter knob area.. normal ?

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 06-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Lotsa heat coming from shifter knob area.. normal ?

I dunno if i ever noticed this before but while driving 100 miles to a friends house the other day in my 5.9 i noticed the shifter nob area transfercase and transmission were getting very warm.. If i touched the plastic it was pretty hot but not enough to make me move my hand.. The shifter shafts were both really warm and i could feel the heat radiating on my gas pedal leg in the knee and thigh area.. I was driving around 55-70mph on the freeway.

Last i checked my check valve is locked open i always have to prime the pump in neutral when i first start the Jeep because its basicly dry and while it does move when i step on the gas it doesnt really like it so i let it circulate for a second or two (i can actually hear it for those 2 seconds filling up) I poped off the tube and it was squirting lotsa fluid out too so its deff not blocked closed last i checked.

So yea is this normal for so much heat at these speeds ? I realise its the transmission down there but i figure driving that fast with a aux cooler and bypassed should keep that thing really cool. Plus the tranny and transmission cases themselves are being cooled from the wind of moving.. and last i checked with a thermal probe they only get to like 140f.. I imagine actually moving they might get warmer but still 140-200f doesnt seem like enough to make the floor board/knobs get hot while moving.. Or maybe Im wrong.

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Very normal. The trans is inches away and so is the bell housing of the engine. Heat rises into that confined area. Mine feels warm to the touch also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Install a transmission temp gauge.

Just so you know it's not getting to hot
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantheheeler View Post
Very normal. The trans is inches away and so is the bell housing of the engine. Heat rises into that confined area. Mine feels warm to the touch also.

I know heat rises but i mean 70mph.. heat is going zoom

Maybe i will look into a temp gauge or something.. No idea how to install something like that tho but ill look into it
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #5
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan

I know heat rises but i mean 70mph.. heat is going zoom
If it feels to hot and you are worrying about there's a good chance there might be something wrong.
Have you checked tranny fluid lately? Have you ever serviced the tranny? Is there enough fluid? Is there too much fluid?
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Not as much air movement as you would think between the tranny and body. It's all blocked off up there from the engine and the entire front end.

Unread 06-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Also do you have an aux tranny cooler?

And I did some research and many people reported the tranny should run around 130-160 on a average day and up to 180 on hot days.

Another sign of a tranny too hot would be poor shifting so if it starts to slip or miss then you know there's a problem.

So if you are truly worried seriously consider the temp gauge
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcarpenter View Post
Install a transmission temp gauge.

Just so you know it's not getting to hot
Do this for a piece of mind.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

shifts fine never slipped.. yes i have an aux cooler bypassed from the main radiator... its a tube style 22,000 gvw hayden cooler
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Gee, 200 deg air coming out of radiator warmed by exhaust manifolds and pipe... Why is my floor/tunnel hot?
Ya think they put those hood vents on the 9er for style.
Truth be told, even at speed the only air moving through the top of the tunnel is Hot engine compartment heat trying to escape.
The heat radiated from the tranny is pennys on the dollar.
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.