Lost CPS bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lost CPS bolt

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
supniceyeah
1993 ZJ 

Lost CPS bolt

So I failed tonight. Trying to rush to replace the CPS on my mom's 4.0 96 ZJ, I dropped the bolt that holes the single bolt style CPS into the bellhousing. It got stuck someone on a bracket or e brake cable or something, tried everything to find it, no luck.

I need to replace this bolt now, anyone by any chance know of a way I can figure out what size that bolt would be, maybe you have a spare configuration or a pulled motor with the bolt still attached? I would do some trial and error but due to how hard it is to reach it, itd be pretty tough to go that route.

supniceyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
supniceyeah
1993 ZJ 

searching has told me it's not a good idea to replaced it with a bolt from the hardware store on the 2 bolt style cps, any idea if that applies to the single bolt style as well?
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

junkyard. Guaranteed perfect fit.
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

on my 5.2, they were 5/16-18 i think. dont know if its the same for the 4.0 tho.
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supniceyeah View Post
So I failed tonight. Trying to rush to replace the CPS on my mom's 4.0 96 ZJ, I dropped the bolt that holes the single bolt style CPS into the bellhousing. It got stuck someone on a bracket or e brake cable or something, tried everything to find it, no luck.

I need to replace this bolt now, anyone by any chance know of a way I can figure out what size that bolt would be, maybe you have a spare configuration or a pulled motor with the bolt still attached? I would do some trial and error but due to how hard it is to reach it, itd be pretty tough to go that route.
So you removed the front trans inspection plate and the bolt was nowhere to be seen? How about using one of those thin flexible magnets to reach in the bottom of the bell housing? Maybe turn the engine over by hand with a ratchet on the front of the crank to see if it doesn't fall down if lodged between the ring-gear and inner bell housing. If the loose bolt is still in the bell housing I'd be half-afraid it will get slung around and break your new CKP. Stranger things have happened....

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

I replaced my CPS as an emergency roadside repair and dropped/lost the bolt (mine's also the 4.0). In a pinch, I took the front bolt from the valve cover and it worked. In fact, that was months ago, and I haven't gotten around to getting a replacement bolt, and the VC hasn't leaked yet.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
supniceyeah
1993 ZJ 

i'm pretty positive it isn't in the bell housing, the sensor was still in, the bolt slipped out of my fingers when i pulled it from the sensor so there shouldn't have been an entry point for it to fall in. I'm pretty sure it is stuck on a cable harness or bracket somewehre that i'm not finding.

as for a magnet, I left mine at work and was trying to race the clock to get, what took me 15 minutes on my jeep, done before dark, but i'll give give the jy a try if after i call the dealership they don't try to charge me like 12 bucks or something dumb like that
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Understand now and was just going by your 1st post where you said you dropped the bolt into the bell housing. Now that I think about it once I dropped that bolt, couldn't find it, and it ended up on the shelf on the trans above the pan.

After replacing 4-5 crank sensors on my 96 4.0, including 2 junk aftermarket ones, I found it easiest if you tie that kick-down cable right beside the sensor to the far outside with wire to get it out of the way. I'll install the sensor from the top but put the bolt in from the bottom. I use electrical tape not real tight on the outside of a swivel 7/16" impact socket so it doesn't want to fall down. Then put a piece of that sticky removable window rope caulk inside the socket head itself to hold the bolt head in. Seems to work pretty good w/a long extension from the bottom and even reinstall the metal wire shield on the bolt with a little caulk holding it in place to the outside of the socket too.

Just make sure your grounds are clean on that 96 4.0, particularly one of the ones on the coil bracket stud which grounds the PCM. That's where my electrical system problems started and the reason I'm on my 2nd reman PCM along with so many CKP's. That ground was corroded/oily so the PCM wasn't grounded and all sensors are grounded through the PCM. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

make sure it didnt just fall on the ground then suddenly deflect to the other side of the garage. happens to me all the time
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Roadraider

Just did my CPS twice in the last 3 days and dropped that freaking bolt a bunch of times. Most times it dropped on the shelf above the trans plate. That's the plate under the cable bracket there. One time it took me a while to locate it, was stuck on the side of one of the bolts holding the shelf up. I'll bet that's where yours is too.
Roadraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
supniceyeah
1993 ZJ 

I was using a non swivel magnet to find it, picked up a little swivel deal the next day and was able get it, was sitting way far back by the tc somehow!!

I've done cps's before with no issue, just never learn my lesson that when you rush it'll end up taking you more time in the long run

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.