Loss of power above 2000rpm and weird 'Growl' - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Loss of power above 2000rpm and weird 'Growl'

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
medusa1

Loss of power above 2000rpm and weird 'Growl'

Hi all,

I have a 1996 Grand with the 4 litre straight six engine. A few weeks ago whilst at speed it lost power and would refuse to rev past about 2000, equating to about 30mph (max) - whilst doing this it would also 'kangaroo' and pop through the intake. I cleaned the sensor that is at the top of the throttle body (just behind the air intake) which was heavily carboned up and it appeared to have solved the problem until last night when it started to do it again. This time it righted itself and I was able to get home and yet this morning it has started to do the same thing once again. I absolutely love this car and so need to get it going again - anybody have any ideas?? I have searched the threads here already and a few offer suggestions (o2 sensors??) - but apart from the TPS I don't really get the other acronyms. When it is playing up it will still tick over reliably, but there is a load roar from the air intake (like a valve is shut but should be open??) please help???

medusa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

How many km on the jeep? It could be several things but a few pop into my head first: 1) fuel pump issue 2) clogged catalytic converter 3) really bad timing issue
Unread 04-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
medusa1

it has done 109000 miles. The fault started all on its own - wouldn't that rule out timing issues??? Fuel and cat ideas are interesting......I run it on LPG usually - it can be a bit 'smelly' on petrol - specially in the morning....
cheers for your help.
Incidentally - I have changed dizzy cap, rotor, leads, coil, new battery.....
medusa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Pimmy

Same problem on 2.5TD engine

Hi,

I have the same problem on my GrandCherokee 2.5TD. Above 2000 rpms it looses power. The fuel consumption goes down as well - like I've released the accelerator pedal.

My problem started suddenly after I havent driven the Jeep for a couple of months. Before this happened I have changed the fuel filter only, but this problem appeared a while after that.

Have you managed to resolve yours problem?

thanks,

pimmy
Pimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Ronzo54
2000 WJ 

clogged or broken (inside) catalytic converter is something to really look at, it will cause power loss and very bad MPG, and it usually happens suddenly
Ronzo54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa1 View Post
it has done 109000 miles. The fault started all on its own - wouldn't that rule out timing issues??? Fuel and cat ideas are interesting......I run it on LPG usually - it can be a bit 'smelly' on petrol - specially in the morning....
cheers for your help.
Incidentally - I have changed dizzy cap, rotor, leads, coil, new battery.....
clogged cat. have someone rev the engine while you feel the exhaust pressure and see what it feels and smells like.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

ive seen faulty crank sensors cause these issues too
Unread 10-05-2009, 03:54 AM   #8
Pimmy

The MPG in fact is really good. Nothing has changes in terms of fuel consumption since this problem started appearing.

During acceleration (engine under load) up to 2000 rpms the engine has good power and I see the MPG jumping up. After 2000 rpms the feeling is like I've released the pedal, the fuel consumption starts going down and the Jeep stops accelerating. I can reach higher rpms/speed but it is times slower than before - cant overtake anything basically. Also on the motorway I can eventually reach higher speeds but when an incline comes speed drops until the engine goes down to 2000 rmps and it stays there.

If I rev the engine without any load it reaches 2000 rpm very quickly, but after that it slows down. And again I can reach 4000 rpms - no problem, but after a while.

What should I be looking at from the exhaust when revving the engine? I havent noticed any difference in the colour, or smell of the fumes.

Thanks.
Pimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

could be tps or any of the other intake/fuel sensor systems...gonna need to get it scanned.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.