Losing Oil Pressure ????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Losing Oil Pressure ?????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
DEEPERTHEBETTER
1997 ZJ 

Losing Oil Pressure ?????

My 94 limited was buried up to the windows for about 3 hours. After got it home i flushed the motor and changed my oil. Now when i crank it up my oil pressure is fine but after driving it a mile or so the oil pressure drops to the bottom and it overheats. I've been messing around with it but cant figure anything out, so any ideas that may help me out will be greatly appreciated.

DEEPERTHEBETTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
myfirstwj
2000 WJ 

are you actually losing pressure or are you trusting your in dash guage? being that dirty can cause random and sparatic signals from your oil pressure sending unit, do 2 things, test it with a manual pressure tester at the sending unit location, and if the pressure is fine there replace that sending unit. my money is there because if you were actually losing pressure you would have developed a knock by now.
myfirstwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
DEEPERTHEBETTER
1997 ZJ 

I've already pulled the unit and cleaned it. I am guessing it may be a bigger problem since it is also overheating when the pressure drops. I only drove it maybe 2 miles so it hasnt damaged anything else i hope because theres no knock. I also forgot to mention that it was idled in the driveway for about 30 min. and it never lost pressure until i drove it, there didnt seem to be a loss of power so i have no clue whats happening here.
Unread 01-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
myfirstwj
2000 WJ 

i would replace that sending unit. the over heating could be a t stat problem? or possible a fan switch...water does bad stuff. and before i replaced my op sending unit, it would be at like 35 at idle start to drive, drops to 0, rev the motor goes to 40...just replace it
Unread 01-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

It's probably all the other way around.. Because it is overheating, the oil is thining out too much and making the oil pressure fall down further than normal.
Check your T-stat and solve the overheating problem first. The oil issue most likely needs a new oil sending unit.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
myfirstwj
2000 WJ 

^^ was just listing parts to consider, i know there are 2 seperate issues
Unread 01-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
DEEPERTHEBETTER
1997 ZJ 

That makes sense, the only reason i had worries of bigger problems was that i read another thread that said it could be bottom end problems. I'll fix the overheating then go from there with the OP unit. Thanks for the help and ill let ya know if it works out
Unread 01-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

When I replaced the oil sending unit in my son's ZJ, I barely reached back there to get the electric plug unplugged, and I ended up with the whole top end of the switch in my hand. The heat gets them very brittle and they crack, slow oil leaks are not uncommon there.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.