Losing coolant - No oveheat ~ No Leaks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Losing coolant - No oveheat ~ No Leaks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
SouthSeaPirate

Losing coolant - No oveheat ~ No Leaks

Recently replaced rad, rad cap and thermostat. New gaskets on WP and thermo housing. On a side note; new clutch fan...

No oil in water and no water in oil. Its not over heating, no where near it. And I cannot find any leaks.

Its also not taking the water from the reservoir. It stays just as full as always even if the water in the rad goes down...

On other side notes that my not be related: Heater does not blow hot and there is water in the pass floorboard (guessing from A/C)

What am I missing? Is there some inconspicuous place I havent searched?

SouthSeaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
jeepin161
1993 ZJ 

could be a leak in the heater lines inside the truck
HID Fogs, Flowmaster Super 44
jeepin161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

^^ possible

Also, sometimes coolant can get burned and evaporate really fast if it is near the engine. Check the upper hose.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
SouthSeaPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin161 View Post
could be a leak in the heater lines inside the truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
^^ possible

Also, sometimes coolant can get burned and evaporate really fast if it is near the engine. Check the upper hose.
Thanks guys. How would I check for this?

I take it that would explain the water on the pass floor and why the heater wont work? This is why I thought it was the A/C: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/3885949-post30.html (From the ZJ FAQ'S)

Upper rad hose lays right on top of the A/C compressor, and that fooker gets hot. The heater hoses run right next to the valve cover. Isnt that where there supposed to be?
Unread 08-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
SouthSeaPirate

Was just informed by the roomy that the WP is pouring out water from behind the pully. And it tore the belt, not sure how in the hell it did that...

Fook!
Unread 08-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Ahhh the pulley itself is probably wobbling like a mother as well. Make sure you check and make sure it is not leaking at the bypass hose though .
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Try Napa for a new water pump, great deals. then take an afternoon to replace it yourself and save 300 over having a shop do it.

www.mountainvistafabrication.com
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSeaPirate View Post
Was just informed by the roomy that the WP is pouring out water from behind the pully. And it tore the belt, not sure how in the hell it did that...

Fook!
It tore the belt and is leaking because the bearing in the water pump is toast! I just had this problem earlier this month. Mine didn't tear the belt, but I was pouring out coolant like crazy whenever I would idle, not so much while driving. Brand new water pump w/ lifetime replacement warranty at Advance ran $70ish, no core.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
SouthSeaPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCollinsZJ View Post
Try Napa for a new water pump, great deals. then take an afternoon to replace it yourself and save 300 over having a shop do it.
NAPA is double the price.

And I already know how to do it LOL. It was off not even 2 weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12982 View Post
It tore the belt and is leaking because the bearing in the water pump is toast! I just had this problem earlier this month. Mine didn't tear the belt, but I was pouring out coolant like crazy whenever I would idle, not so much while driving. Brand new water pump w/ lifetime replacement warranty at Advance ran $70ish, no core.
Makes sence. Paid $42 at AZ w/ lifetime.
Unread 08-29-2009, 04:10 AM   #10
SouthSeaPirate

New pump, gaskets and thermo installed. We will see over the next couple of days to see how she does and of course keep filling it as air comes up.

So far in the last two weeks Ive replaced WP, belt, radiator, gaskets, thermo and clutch fan. Sheesh, money and patience only goes so far LOL. And yes they were all bad...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.