Loose steering / Alignment issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Loose steering / Alignment issues

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Majobe2003
1998 ZJ 

Loose steering / Alignment issues

First post, so bear with me. Here goes:

I recently bought at '98 ZJ 4.0 with the 242 TC. It has a 3.5" lift with 33x12.50 15s and the stock front upper control arms. While talking with a few knowledgeable folks, I was told to replace the stock upper CAs with adjustable CAs. I got the new CAs in the mail today, and plan to start the project tomorrow.

Here are my questions:

1. My steering is loose; I have checked all the parts for wear and tear, everything is solid. My caster is currently something like +9 degrees from vertical, and my front axle has a 7 degree slope from TC to differential. How far should I shift my front axle to get it into spec? How far can I push the pinion angle without too many vibes? (This is my daily driver, so stable steering trumps flex)

2. How far forward can I push my front axle? I have trimmed about as much as I can, and bent all the pinch welds flat to the unibody, but I still rub when the front end flexes. Where should the front axle sit relative to the wheel well and can I use the adjustable CAs to push it forward a fraction of an inch? I have a custom front bumper and am willing to trim the fender, but I cant trim any more from the rear without cutting out spot welds and damaging the integrity of the unibody.

3. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to re-centering the axle and getting my alignment right after I get the new CAs in?

Any help would be genuinely appreciated. Snide remarks and laughter at the FNG will be tolerated with as much good humor as I can muster.

Majobe2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majobe2003 View Post
First post, so bear with me. Here goes:

I recently bought at '98 ZJ 4.0 with the 242 TC. It has a 3.5" lift with 33x12.50 15s and the stock front upper control arms. While talking with a few knowledgeable folks, I was told to replace the stock upper CAs with adjustable CAs. I got the new CAs in the mail today, and plan to start the project tomorrow.

Here are my questions:

1. My steering is loose; I have checked all the parts for wear and tear, everything is solid. My caster is currently something like +9 degrees from vertical, and my front axle has a 7 degree slope from TC to differential. How far should I shift my front axle to get it into spec? How far can I push the pinion angle without too many vibes? (This is my daily driver, so stable steering trumps flex)

2. How far forward can I push my front axle? I have trimmed about as much as I can, and bent all the pinch welds flat to the unibody, but I still rub when the front end flexes. Where should the front axle sit relative to the wheel well and can I use the adjustable CAs to push it forward a fraction of an inch? I have a custom front bumper and am willing to trim the fender, but I cant trim any more from the rear without cutting out spot welds and damaging the integrity of the unibody.

3. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to re-centering the axle and getting my alignment right after I get the new CAs in?

Any help would be genuinely appreciated. Snide remarks and laughter at the FNG will be tolerated with as much good humor as I can muster.

Check your other identical post. I answered.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Majobe2003
1998 ZJ 

Thanks.
Majobe2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment , caster , control arm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.