Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Loose noise from front end

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  00-wj 
#1 ·
My 00 JGC Limited is making a loose noise when I go over bumps. It dosen't do it all the time, but its annoying when it does it. You can't feel it in the car or the wheel, but its definately there. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Astorm said:
My 00 JGC Limited is making a loose noise when I go over bumps. It dosen't do it all the time, but its annoying when it does it. You can't feel it in the car or the wheel, but its definately there. Any ideas?
Exhaust components are the biggest offenders. Check all connections and hangers.

#3 ·
mine did that on all four wheels. threw it around a trail once, and the front end nosie is gone, as is the rear, but now my exhaust pipe hits the gast ank heat sheild. eh, im jsut ripping mine off anyway

#5 ·
I had a similar rattle that could only be heard over very light bumps. Drove me nuts; it felt like something bumping the floor pan. I had the shocks replaced and the sway bar bushings replaced. Problem solved, but it sounds like a very similar problem to yours. Also check for other worn bushings in the steering and suspension components.

#6 ·
Well if it's not the exaust hangers that are in the MIDDLE or the REAR of the of the jeep, NOT in the front. it could be be your motor mounts or your shocks. the way the top of the shocks are mounted can be problematic. youcan buy shock relocater kits for the front and the rear. motor mounts run around $30- $40 im not sure about the relocaters. be sure to check the motor mounts b/c if they are old and falling apart or just plain gone it can lead to trany problems.

#11 ·
OK, i did the shocks, i did front and rear sway bar busings, and it STILL DOES IT. I checked all the exhaust stuff, it seems fine, and I re-tightened the new shocks. Any ideas? This is starting to get really annoying. And it only does it over small bumps.

#13 ·
Astorm said:
One more question, how tight should the shocks be torqued to? How much should the bushings on the front be compressed? How tight should the rears be?
Front Torque Specs:
Shocks:
Upper nut: 26 Ft-lbs
Lower nuts: 20 Ft-lbs

Stabilizer Bar:
Bushing clamp bolts: 68 Ft-lbs
Stabilizer bar-to-link nut: 78 Ft-lbs
Stabilizer link-to-axle bolt/nut: 78 Ft-lbs

Rear Torque Specs:
Shocks:
Upper nut: 80 Ft-lbs
Lower nut: 85 Ft-lbs

Stabilizer Bar:
Bushing clamp bolts 40 Ft-lbs
Stabilizer bar-to-link nut 40 Ft-lbs
Stabilizer link-to-bracket nut 68 Ft-lbs

These values are all for the 2000 year model.

#20 ·
OK, after replacing all the sway bar bushings, the front end links, the shocks, and a bad tierod, it looks like the noise is gone. I think the sway bar links did it, but everything "Did It" for a little bit, then the noise came back. Here's hopin' that it dosen't come back again!

#21 ·
did u chack your motor mounts?? again this could be the problem

#22 ·
The saga continues. After I replaced my front sway bar links, i now have a popping sound whenever i step on the brake when switching directions (once it does it once in forward or reverse, it doesn't do it again till i switch from forward to reverse). Its only on the left front. I checked all the bolts on the brakes, and they're all tight. I tightened EVERYTHING on that side. The loose noise is still gone, but this popping can't be good.

Any Ideas :confused:

Andy

#23 ·
I know the feeling

If you are or anyone else is still experiencing this problem I would suggest visiting this website. I have an 01' wj 4.7 litre that is experiencing the same sort of noise. I have already replaced my shocks and sway bars with new endlinks and the thump noise is still there especially when going over a speed bump. Visit www.kevinsjeepparts.com and click on the tab that says bar pin eliminator under the subject of suspension menu. I just purchased these pins and they haven't even arrived yet so I don't have an outcome to tell you about. See if that describes your issue and let me know. Good Luck

#24 ·
My wife has a 99 Grand Cherokee Limited and has a loose bushing noise when coming to a stop and the car sets back. Dealer says this is normal but I have a hard time beliving that Jeep would allow this to be normal. Anyone else have this problem? :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.