loose cold steering? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > loose cold steering?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

loose cold steering?

Since getting the vc replaced, my steering feels rather loose when i initially leave work, I.e. motor isn't fully warmed up and it's highway travel. There's nearly double the play in the steering until it gets warmed up, then it's roughly 3/4" of a turn from tdc on the steering wheel to maintain straight on flat, level ground. If it were loose all the time, that's kinda a no brainer, but only when cold and only after a new vc? Or is this normal and I'm just used to a bad vc?

Sent from mobile, where errors are common and I'm too lazy to correct them.
Gearhead31 Hooah!

[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

There's also a weird oscillating vibration and hum that pulses through the steering wheel when in OD and accelerating from 60 to 65(only in that speed range) without kicking out of OD. I'm assuming that is related to worn motor mounts and a humming r&p, but it's there if that correlates to the main problem.

Gearhead31 Hooah!
Unread 01-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Anyone?

Gearhead31 Hooah!
Unread 01-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I tried tightening up my stub shaft on the steering box and the over the top adjustment with little success. I ended up Buying a new PSC steering gear. That pretty much solved that problem. Also replaced all of the control arms.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I tried tightening up my stub shaft on the steering box and the over the top adjustment with little success. I ended up Buying a new PSC steering gear. That pretty much solved that problem. Also replaced all of the control arms.
Ew.. is this something i should be worried about or can I probably get away with leaving it alone for a few months? I have pretty much zero money to put into it right now and that's around $100+ iirc

Gearhead31 Hooah!
Unread 01-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That's up to you. I drove around with it like that for over a year. After I tried everything, I finally broke down and got a new gear. They went on sale and that was the deciding factor. I think I paid 375 and normally it was 450.
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Sounds kinda normal to me , the bad VC may have felt different . Your steering doesn't sound like it has all that much play . Have you checked all the TRE's properly ? Tire pressures even ? Those box adjustments are hit and miss . Last one I did feels great , others I have done felt better but now needs replacing , some made zero difference . It's a temp fix IMO , if the issue . Polka mentioned the control arms , I tried just the 2 front lwr axle bushings . It was much better , Then I replaced the other 2 on the frt lwr rear . It's good now . Rest are original . No more wandering . If you have original bushings , order a pair of lower XJ arms when you can , they will have solid bushings . It's a great ideal to get all new , but , the lower fronts have taken the most abuse and beat to death . When you think about it , at 19 years old , every piece of rubber on the suspension and drive train is pretty much spent .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

its possible i found some of the problem

img_20140119_184420.jpg

Gearhead31 Hooah!
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yea, a leaky CV isn't usually the culprit of funny handling unless it's really bad. But good find.
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Yea, a leaky CV isn't usually the culprit of funny handling unless it's really bad. But good find.
Woops, i meant about the oscillating vib/humming on acceleration. I went to do an alignment and its just about dead perfect but i found that. My steering box also had a good leak so that may be part of the culprit on loose handling. Worn rubber parts is probably part of the rest

Gearhead31 Hooah!
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #11
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Sounds kinda normal to me , the bad VC may have felt different . Your steering doesn't sound like it has all that much play . Have you checked all the TRE's properly ? Tire pressures even ? Those box adjustments are hit and miss . Last one I did feels great , others I have done felt better but now needs replacing , some made zero difference . It's a temp fix IMO , if the issue . Polka mentioned the control arms , I tried just the 2 front lwr axle bushings . It was much better , Then I replaced the other 2 on the frt lwr rear . It's good now . Rest are original . No more wandering . If you have original bushings , order a pair of lower XJ arms when you can , they will have solid bushings . It's a great ideal to get all new , but , the lower fronts have taken the most abuse and beat to death . When you think about it , at 19 years old , every piece of rubber on the suspension and drive train is pretty much spent .
I'm thinking it's probably that. TREs? The rubber parts still look like they have some life left in them but i can safely assume they are worn out anyways due to mileage alone.
A pair of XJ arms? I would've figured there would be a little length difference there, cool. I figure if i replace all the bushings between the tires and power steering pitman(?) Arm, that will probably fix most of it.
Thanks all! Hopefully that's all that the problem is. I'll have to get the presses and stuff to deal with that cv leak and start on replacing all the rubber under there

Gearhead31 Hooah!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.