Looks like it's my turn (PCM dying) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looks like it's my turn (PCM dying)

1987-2016 Wrangler Jammock Black 2.0 Jeep Hammock (YJ, TJ Rancho rockGEAR promotion gear from January 1-February 29,Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 01-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
jswerve
1998 ZJ 

Looks like it's my turn (PCM dying)

Symptoms as of late;

• Random stalls
  • Sometimes instantly restarts
  • Sometimes will just crank and battery goes "dead" trying to restart in a very short time but can be jumped and restarted
  • Sputters, coughs
  • Sometimes runs great for days
  • CEL light is not on and works with key on like it should

So after cleaning a few grounds I decided to do the wiggle test on the PCM connectors. Already had zip tied the connectors about a year ago when troubleshooting a different issue that ended up being the upstream O2 sensor.

When I wiggle the wires aggressively, the engine starts to sputter and dies.

Now, where to go from here? JY, parts store, online vendor?

Sigh.

I shouldn't complain much though she's been AMAZING to my family since October 1999. Just want to make her reliable again.

Recommendations on where to get a PCM?

Unread 01-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
JonS
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswerve View Post
Symptoms as of late;

• Random stalls
  • Sometimes instantly restarts
  • Sometimes will just crank and battery goes "dead" trying to restart in a very short time but can be jumped and restarted
  • Sputters, coughs
  • Sometimes runs great for days
  • CEL light is not on and works with key on like it should

So after cleaning a few grounds I decided to do the wiggle test on the PCM connectors. Already had zip tied the connectors about a year ago when troubleshooting a different issue that ended up being the upstream O2 sensor.

When I wiggle the wires aggressively, the engine starts to sputter and dies.

Now, where to go from here? JY, parts store, online vendor?

Sigh.

I shouldn't complain much though she's been AMAZING to my family since October 1999. Just want to make her reliable again.

Recommendations on where to get a PCM?
Yup, these are the initial troubles before the PCM fails. Add to it erratic RPMs at idle - sometimes normal, sometimes below 500 RPM.

Since the wiggle test replicates the sputtering, I would start with resoldering connectors 2,3 on the top PC Board once you carefully disassemble the PCM. I bent the tabs back carefully with a screwdriver, removed the two torx sctres and then used a hair blower on high to loosen the heat sink epoxy to remove the top board. Once removed, you will see the connectors to resolder. I'll attach a picture when I change from my laptop to phone.

I found the resoldering to be a short-term fix and have since replaced my PCM with a refurbrished unit that is working very well for the past 4 weeks.
Unread 01-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
minnesotanJeep
1997 ZJ 

I currently have this issue with my 97. The outer-most connector is loose enough that it causes all those problems. I've zip-tied it both against the pcm and in a downwards fashion that has seemed to sort of fix it. Of course this isn't a permanent fix.

I posted a couple threads if you want to look through and see what was posted there. One guy posted this link to a thread where another guy gives a walkthrough of how to fix the contacts inside the connector. I haven't done it myself, but it's worth taking a look at: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/i.../#post15071349

I'd at least investigate your connectors before going for a new PCM, as the new one probably will have issues too if the connectors are bad.
minnesotanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
castonbass
1994 ZJ 

A1 Cardone from Autozone or Advanced Auto... really was just plug and play for my 94 ZJ.
castonbass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
JonS
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons
yup, these are the initial troubles before the pcm fails. Add to it erratic rpms at idle - sometimes normal, sometimes below 500 rpm. Since the wiggle test replicates the sputtering, i would start with resoldering connectors 2,3 on the top pc board once you carefully disassemble the pcm. I bent the tabs back carefully with a screwdriver, removed the two torx sctres and then used a hair blower on high to loosen the heat sink epoxy to remove the top board. Once removed, you will see the connectors to resolder. I'll attach a picture when i change from my laptop to phone. I found the resoldering to be a short-term fix and have since replaced my pcm with a refurbrished unit that is working very well for the past 4 weeks.
image-339081329.jpg
Unread 01-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
jswerve
1998 ZJ 

I'm going to check out the connectors first insuring the pins haven't relaxed allowing poor contact.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Unread 01-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
jswerve
1998 ZJ 

They have the pcm listed for 224. You posted you got it for 199 and free shipping. How did you do that Jon S?

Unread 01-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #8
JonS
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
They have the pcm listed for 224. You posted you got it for 199 and free shipping. How did you do that Jon S?

It was $199. 4 weeks ago. I don't know why it would have changed that much. Call them . . .
Unread 01-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #9
jswerve
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonS View Post
It was $199. 4 weeks ago. I don't know why it would have changed that much. Call them . . .
http://www.fs1inc.com/engine-compute...okee-1996.html

I'll give them a call maybe they will cut me some slack.
Unread 01-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
JonS
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
http://www.fs1inc.com/engine-compute...okee-1996.html

I'll give them a call maybe they will cut me some slack.
CRAZY! I just checked their price on mine (1998 California Emissions) and it is now $299. Was $199 four weeks ago!

http://www.fs1inc.com/1998-grand-che...m-ecu-pcm.html
Unread 01-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #11
jswerve
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonS View Post
CRAZY! I just checked their price on mine (1998 California Emissions) and it is now $299. Was $199 four weeks ago!

http://www.fs1inc.com/1998-grand-che...m-ecu-pcm.html
Wth

Unread 01-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
WeaverR1
1997 ZJ 

I was actually looking at replacing my PCM earlier today since mine was having similar problems, but seems like my issue has to deal with a possible dead/dying alternator. However, in case you guys are still looking for a cheaper buy for a PCM, I would recommend http://www.rockauto.com/. They have the PCMs there for $209.89 (A1 Cardone with California Emissions) and $280.79 (A1 Cardone with Federal Emissions). Those prices are with the core charge, so actually they are cheaper than that if you send your old PCM back to them. I've dealt with RockAuto for the last few years and have never had any problems out of them, and their prices seem to always be the best, even after shipping and/or taxes are added to the final costs. Anyways, I hope this helps out and best of luck. n_n
WeaverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #13
jswerve
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaverR1 View Post
I was actually looking at replacing my PCM earlier today since mine was having similar problems, but seems like my issue has to deal with a possible dead/dying alternator. However, in case you guys are still looking for a cheaper buy for a PCM, I would recommend http://www.rockauto.com/. They have the PCMs there for $209.89 (A1 Cardone with California Emissions) and $280.79 (A1 Cardone with Federal Emissions). Those prices are with the core charge, so actually they are cheaper than that if you send your old PCM back to them. I've dealt with RockAuto for the last few years and have never had any problems out of them, and their prices seem to always be the best, even after shipping and/or taxes are added to the final costs. Anyways, I hope this helps out and best of luck. n_n
Yeah I use RockAuto all the time. Thanks.
Unread 01-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #14
WeaverR1
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Yeah I use RockAuto all the time. Thanks.
No problem. n_n
WeaverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #15
jswerve
1998 ZJ 

Well this is an interesting twist. Last year I put a large hose clamp horizontally around the entire PCM basically to keep the 3 connectors firmly in place. Today while I was wiggling the PCM the Jeep would sputter and die. I pulled the overflow tank out of the way and pulled the clamp off of the PCM connectors. Now when I start it I can't for the life of me get it to sputter, stall, or do anything bad. I took it for a nice long ride and it ran great! So I am thinking the clamp was actually causing a joint to flex or make intermittent contact?

I also went ahead and re-cleaned all 3 grounding points (at the coil, the dipstick, and passenger fender) as well as cleaned the large wire that goes to the relay box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.