Looks like I'll be joining the club - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looks like I'll be joining the club

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-01-2004, 05:07 PM   #1
ZgreatJ
Rain Man

Looks like I'll be joining the club

The rebuilt tranny club, that is. Coming home from work today all of a sudden the truck seems to shift into neutral and loses all forward motion. I just keep coasting up the hill until I lose all momentum and have to pull over. I checked everything underneath, no fluid loss. It previously had been straining to shift into 3rd(SelecTrac Auto) unless I would shift manually and let off the gas when shifting into D. 1st to 2nd was fine and 3rd to OD was fine too, just the 2nd to 3rd. After letting it cool off, I tried one more time and it just lerched ahead alittle bit while the engine just revved. Had the fluid and filter just changed and the linkage is off a little bit, but now I believe it is toast. Now, I am going to get it rebuilt, or would a remanufactured(say Jasper)be a better route. If I get it rebuilt, anything special I should tell the shop. I will be taking it to the best tranny shop around, so they should be able to handle it. Thanks for any advice.

RIG#1 96 Forest Green ZJ Laredo-4.0 I6 242
GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #136
Kevin's 4.5 lift-Kevin's Rock Sliderz-Custom 4X4 Fab Front Winch Bumper-T Max EWI 10000 winch-32X10.50-15 Super Swamper TSL Radials on US Wheel 15X8 Black Steelies-OME SS-Rusty's steering conversion-SOLD
Currently- 98 ZJ Limited-99 XJ Classic-Both stock for now
ZgreatJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2004, 07:42 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Yes, there is. There is a procedure to increase fluid flow to the overdrive. They need to perform that service. It involves enlarging a port and drilling a new one IIRC.
Rockpaws has all the details. PM him and get the straight story before investing in a rebuild or replacement.

HTH
Unread 12-01-2004, 08:00 PM   #3
mr_user

Extremely sorry for hijacking the thread, but perhaps Green Jeep is wondering this too...

What is IIRC? I don't see it in the commonly used acronyms..

Carry on,
Matt

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

If I Recall Correctly

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.