Looking for ZJ bumper blueprints. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking for ZJ bumper blueprints.

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
djdalfaro
1993 ZJ 

Looking for ZJ bumper blueprints.

I'm looking to fab up a bumper for my 93 ZJ, and am looking for any blueprints or templates that I can work with. Does anybody know where I can find one? I've looked online, but have only found pictures with no measurements. Thanks.

djdalfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Dodgeram1989
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

I am in the same boat. Would love to find a bumper for my ZJ. Anyone on here from the midwest know anyone that makes them? Or how hard would they be to make a bumper? Have a welder just never used it before and don't really know where to start.

Also what kind of bumper are you looking for? I know ive seen some blueprints for a homemade bumper that looks like the KOR stealth bumper. Could proly find them again if that is what you are looking for.

Or google

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...e3f0a9ef98e48d
Dodgeram1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
charlesshoults
1995 ZJ 

I've seen some nice winch bumpers, but unfortunately with some not-so-nice price tags attached to them, so I'm itching to build my own. I like both the KOR Stealth bumper and the Prerunner bumper, so decisions, decisions.

I think the biggest issue is the two plates that slide into the frame rails, to which the bumper is attached. Remove the plastic bumper cover, look at lots of pictures, then buy a sheet or two of 1/8" or 3/16" hardboard. Start measuring, then cut pieces of hardboard and duct tape them in place, trim as necessary. Use either cardboard or PVC tube for fog light holes and stinger bars. When you have it looking the way you want it, untape everything and use the individual pieces of hardboard as templates for plate steel.
charlesshoults is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
charlesshoults
1995 ZJ 

Also, I don't know if you have something like this near you, but there is a shop about an hour from me, that if I take them measurements for the pieces I want, they will laser cut the pieces. The only issue is that they charge for a 4x8 sheet of whatever thickness of steel specified, so I have to make sure I have enough to make good use of that size.
charlesshoults is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
W2001J
1993 ZJ 

I have the templates for the google bumper. let me know if i could help.

Build Thread
W2001J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
shocklee17
1998 ZJ 

Dimensions on this may not be exact, but got bored one day and decided to design a ARB bumper on sketch up. Havent finished it yet, still want to put a place for a winch on. You can have a copy if you want. Pretty easy to get all of the dimensions, just use the tape measure or dimension tool in sketch up.
untitled-1.jpg  
shocklee17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2001J View Post
I have the templates for the google bumper. let me know if i could help.
I'd like to know about your templates.

If I could get the files in autocad my company could burn them for me on our plasma/torch table.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
djdalfaro
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for all the advice, I'm installing SketchUp right now to take a look at that bumper. Shocklee17, I wouldn't mind getting a copy of the file when you finish it up. I actually just toured a machine shop as part of a college class, and they have laser cutters there, so I think I'm gonna try to price this thing out, and see what they say.
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
brady1604
1996 ZJ 

i fabbed this one. i dont have blue prints but i can tell you how much tubing i used and what thickness it is if that will help you
brady1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
brady1604
1996 ZJ 

here's a pic from the front

Unread 03-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
brady1604
1996 ZJ 

Unread 03-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
Jeepfordan
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady1604
Can you send me the info on your bumper?
1998 XJ- 4.0/AX-15/231- DD until grad school is over. Then back to the trails
Jeepfordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
djdalfaro
1993 ZJ 

I'd also like the info on that tube bumper. Does anyone know of somebody that can comment on the fitment of the sketchup bumper? I'm seriously considering that design, with maybe the addition of some steel tubing. Also I didn't see the design for the recovery points in that plan. Is that just an additional aftermarket part or should I edit the design to include those pieces?
Unread 03-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
W2001J
1993 ZJ 

I have been talking to a member about the bumper and he says it fits well, but like with anything you will need to make a few changes. Also you can just add recovery points. No big deal.

Build Thread
W2001J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
RaccoonJoe
1995 ZJ 

I fabbed one up with my buddy's help. No winch, but it would easily accept on. 1/2 d-rings welded to the front plate, right in front of the frame inserts.

I built mine from some scrap 2x5 box steel (3/16 thick). It's just under 100 pounds, with safari bar and KCs.

I will try to find some photos tonight, get them posted up. Maybe I can even find my paper sketches and measurements....
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ
Ill have an XJ please, with a side order of 4.0, hold the catalyctic converter and the 02 sensors, thank you.
RaccoonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumper , grand cherokee , zj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.