Looking for: Rolled, Chopped and Caged Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking for: Rolled, Chopped and Caged Pics

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.com

Unread 01-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
ZZJJeep
1997 ZJ 

Looking for: Rolled, Chopped and Caged Pics

I rolled my ZJ. Every search I have found about a rolled ZJ or XJ many people keep saying chop the top, roll cage and soft top it. Has anyone done this?

I have found a few chopped ZJ, none have soft tops. 1 (awesome) soft top XJ who's build thread is missing all the pictures except for a few on google.

Has anyone actually chopped a rolled ZJ, XJ or WJ? I'd like to know what I should be looking out for as well as getting some design ideas.

I got a great quote from my local fab shop for the cage, it will be done within the next 2 weeks.

Please link to some good threads or showoff your chopped jeep.

I'm pretty sure I've seen almost everything so far. I'll post my favs if people want.

ZZJJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Here are some of a chopped XJ from my local jeep shop's facebook. I think you should expect to do the sewing yourself.

Lots of different cage set-ups. What did they quote you? My shop quoted my $1200 for an internal cage. But if you do the chopping yourself, it would be easier for them to fit and weld so I presume it would be cheaper.
18246_481538528553981_312330464_n.jpg   561169_440311549343346_1090809582_n.jpg   540909_426155350758966_253196366_n.jpg   579512_468067463234421_2034548479_n.jpg  
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

With a little google searching Im sure you could find a build where they go through the whole tube/soft-top conversion
Unread 01-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you won't find but maybe one zj or wj with a soft top conversion.
you'll find a couple buggies built from rolled jeeps.

there's a couple chopped back half zj's around. almost to a man they regret doing it. i've seen one xj that the guy actually hated it so much he welded a roof back on.

almost everyone telling you to chop and cage it, just want to see someone do it. not because it's actually a good idea though.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
ZZJJeep
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
Here are some of a chopped XJ from my local jeep shop's facebook. I think you should expect to do the sewing yourself.

Lots of different cage set-ups. What did they quote you? My shop quoted my $1200 for an internal cage. But if you do the chopping yourself, it would be easier for them to fit and weld so I presume it would be cheaper.
That's pretty close to what my shop quoted, I'm looking at boat top fabricators for the top.

They build "Dodgers" regularily that are pretty much the same thing.

That XJ is more of a buggy - still good to see the cage work, but I am really looking for a soft-top conversion. Mine would still be my DD.
Unread 01-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
ZZJJeep
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
With a little google searching Im sure you could find a build where they go through the whole tube/soft-top conversion
6 days of it.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure I've seen everything so far. That's why I made the post.
Unread 01-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Damn dude, DD? I thought this would be a toy. I was gonna say forget the soft-top and only take it out when its sunny haha. Wont you freeze your tits off?
Unread 01-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
ZZJJeep
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
you won't find but maybe one zj or wj with a soft top conversion.
you'll find a couple buggies built from rolled jeeps.

there's a couple chopped back half zj's around. almost to a man they regret doing it. i've seen one xj that the guy actually hated it so much he welded a roof back on.

almost everyone telling you to chop and cage it, just want to see someone do it. not because it's actually a good idea though.
The XJ picture I posted looks great, I'm really disappointed his pictures are gone.
The main things I'm concerned about are the door seals if the stock pillars are removed, or the look of them if they stay.

Do you know why the people hated the chop so much?

Edit: What makes you think it's a bad idea..? it's either spend the money on a "new" ZJ and swap, or cage it. My ZJ is in way better shape rust and mileage wise than any other I've seen.
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

do you have safety inspections where you are? is it legal to do this to a vehicle that isn't a special registration?

mainly, the back halved jeep guys hated the loss of the room in the back, made them pretty non-functional as suv's.
as for going to a FULL soft top. never seen one done, you're going to have a very hard time getting this to work like you think you want it. and you'll spend a VERY pretty penny getting it correctly caged and a real top(with windows) made up for it that seals well.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
ZZJJeep
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
do you have safety inspections where you are? is it legal to do this to a vehicle that isn't a special registration?

mainly, the back halved jeep guys hated the loss of the room in the back, made them pretty non-functional as suv's.
as for going to a FULL soft top. never seen one done, you're going to have a very hard time getting this to work like you think you want it. and you'll spend a VERY pretty penny getting it correctly caged and a real top(with windows) made up for it that seals well.
Yea, I'm guessing the top and cage are going to be about 1g each. Maybe alittle more for the cage and alittle less for the top.

I don't see why a boat "Dodger" style wouldn't work well. They seem to be designed pretty similar to other Jeep soft tops.

I am worried about loosing the space in the back.. I think I will have to ditch the rear gate and D pillars from damage. I'm really going off flexy92xj's design as what I think mine should look like.

As far as safeties are done here, we have road rules such as mud flaps and lights, then "safeties" which are done in order to register a vehicle after a sale. I don't think I'd be breaking any of the rules with this mod. (Have read recently)
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

What does your jeep look like now? And where's the damage?
Unread 01-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

You could try an intl scout soft top
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.