Looking at a project '98 ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking at a project '98 ZJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
rayar3
If Jeeps could fly...

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looking at a project '98 ZJ

I know nothing about ZJ's but I'm going to look at one next weekend.

I saw it today and here's what I know about it:

1998 Limited. D35 rear from what I could see (rubber plug). 150k miles. Bright red with no dings or dents, seemed to be rust free, although I didn't crawl under it. Didn't pop the hood to see if it was the 4.0L or the 5.2L. It didn't say "V8" on the back so I'm assuming 4.0L. Leather interior/heated seats and a sunroof. I basically just talked with the woman that owned it.

So here's the bad: It hasn't run/moved/started in a year. The owner said it had something go wrong with the transmission. Her husband had to drive home in 2nd gear. After that he parked it. They didn't have the money to fix it at the time, and she has a newish car now and her husband had 2 other cars anyway. And I do believe her about not having the money to fix it at the time. I found the car because my grandparents live across the street and my grandfather knows I like jeeps so he went over knowing that it just sits in the driveway.

She's looking to get $1000 for it. I don't think I'd pay that much considering it hasn't run in a year and it may need a new tranny.

So here's the tech part: I'm going to give it a once-over, charge the battery and try to get it to run. What are the big things to look for? I can change the transmission myself at home with a buddy, but is it worth it? I'd prolly pay no more than $800 for it, and I'll offer $600. I'm looking for advice here. Most likely I'd buy it to turn it after driving it for a few months.

Unread 11-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
redhatman
1998 ZJ 

If you are willing to do the tranny, and everything else checks out fine, I would say go for it. How many miles are on the engine? If its the 4.0L it should last for 300,000...I havent ever heard a single thing bad about them.

Just take it slow, inspect everything, let it idle for a while, make sure it all tests out fine. Dont expect something perfect either. I paid $3,800 for mine, and needed a serp belt, fuel pump, rear brakes, and that was it for the major things. I didnt do that work myself, so I ended up paying about $5,000 for a great vehicle minus upgrades.

Good luck, post pics!

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

"Project Dirty Princess"
5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

"Project Grow A Set"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
redhatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

Check what transfer case it has. If it is the Full-Time case, try test driving it in figure 8's to check the condition of the Viscous Coupling.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.