Looking for new tires for stock rims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking for new tires for stock rims

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 11-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Looking for new tires for stock rims

I've done a bit of searching on here and tire rack but haven't been able to get too much information that fits what I'm looking for, mainly because I'm looking for stock size tires. I still have a bit of tread (30%), but I'm tired of spinning my tires every time I pull away from a stop when it's raining. I don't know what it is with these tires I have now but if I'm not in 4WD when I'm driving in the rain it's nothing but spinning tires, even back when they were around 60% tread life.
My Jeep is fully stock, priorities would be traction, ride comfort, quietness, and saving MPG. It's almost safe to say it's always driven on pavement, but there are days me and the friends are bored and go through stuff no stock Jeep should ever try IMO, but those days are like once a month for a couple hours. Plus over all it's a Jeep, I want it to have some ability off road. So I would like to find something that works great off road too, but I've come to understand you either get
1. +Great on/off road traction | -Uncomfortable -Loud -Bad MPG
2. +Comfortable +Quiet | -Okay traction -Bad MPG
3. +Great MPG | -Bad traction -Uncomfortable -Loud
From my understanding the whole MPG thing will only help or hurt within 0.5MPG, so as much as I'd love to help improve my MPG I think I can say I'll forget that and aim to find a tire that has a sweet spot between Traction, Comfort, and Quietness. What would you recommend?
Edit: Forgot to say, I do not change tires for the seasons, and we can at times get an inch or two of snow along with the winter ice, but rarely is it even that much, let alone more. Yet if we ever had to visit up north in the winter for family I'd like something capable. Wasn't sure if that would affect your guys opinion.

herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Just burned through a set of Dunlop Range Rovers . Great tire , great on ice and snow , great wear (60K and 30%left), great ride , good handling , great tire IMO .

Replaced them with Toyo AT . Firmer ride , great in snow , quiet , handles very well . Seems good so far .

Firestone Destinations are good too , high ratings .

Don't think any tire the same size would reflect much of a difference in MPG's
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
JeepForever

I bought some mean looking mud terrains on Craigslist. They looked cool and I felt tough, but the noise was a killer and I don't off-road. After weeks of research I got the Michelin LTX MS2. My wife has had them for a couple of years, all ratings are excellent, and they have yet to slip on any wet pavement. They work well in snow and are very quiet. Ratings say that they have good MPG, but I stepped up to 30" X 9.5, which lower the MPG. I would take them off-roading if I had the chance, and I'm sure I'd do fine on most terrain. I see a lot of construction workers with them on their trucks on dirt roads and mud daily. They cost a bit more, but I don't want to shop for tires again for along time, so I'm glad I got them.
JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForever View Post
I bought some mean looking mud terrains on Craigslist. They looked cool and I felt tough, but the noise was a killer and I don't off-road. After weeks of research I got the Michelin LTX MS2. My wife has had them for a couple of years, all ratings are excellent, and they have yet to slip on any wet pavement. They work well in snow and are very quiet. Ratings say that they have good MPG, but I stepped up to 30" X 9.5, which lower the MPG. I would take them off-roading if I had the chance, and I'm sure I'd do fine on most terrain. I see a lot of construction workers with them on their trucks on dirt roads and mud daily. They cost a bit more, but I don't want to shop for tires again for along time, so I'm glad I got them.
I can't find a Michelin tire in factory size for my Jeep (P225/75R15), they say they don't sell that size at all. Which seems odd and is sad because I love Michelin tires. However I did find the tire model you mentioned in P235/75R15. It could handle a slightly wider tire without issue couldn't it? Or no? If my Jeep can handle wider tires on stock rims what's the max before stuff starts rubbing?
Unread 11-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
WJ4x4LIFE

I would recommend either Yokohama Geolander A/T-S (P235/7R-15), can't be beat for the price range. It has traction, weight, noise level, tire size, availability, warranty. The H/T-S is more of a highway tire, but it is decent enough. I do not like GOODYEAR, FIRESTONE, BRIDGESTONE, etc, and BFG, although it came with my ZJ, I plan on replacing them with COOPERS down the road. To answer your questions, you can run a 235 without any issues and a 245, but it is hard to find with a R15. I would not go any wider because of fender rubbing issues, maybe a plus zero with 255/70R15, but it would depend on tire pattern and tread.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ4x4LIFE View Post
I would recommend either Yokohama Geolander A/T-S (P235/7R-15), can't be beat for the price range. It has traction, weight, noise level, tire size, availability, warranty. The H/T-S is more of a highway tire, but it is decent enough. I do not like GOODYEAR, FIRESTONE, BRIDGESTONE, etc, and BFG, although it came with my ZJ, I plan on replacing them with COOPERS down the road. To answer your questions, you can run a 235 without any issues and a 245, but it is hard to find with a R15. I would not go any wider because of fender rubbing issues, maybe a plus zero with 255/70R15, but it would depend on tire pattern and tread.
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling I could go up to 245 without issue but wasn't about to spend over $500 and find out I can only go in a straight line haha. I strongly prefer Michelin and buy them any time I need tires, just for a bit I thought I wouldn't be able to get any for my Jeep since there website says they don't make any for it. It looks like I'm going to be getting the Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75R15. I will be very happy knowing I have high quality tires and that they're a bit wider. Surprised I didn't hear more about them with how good there ratings are with everything, but I know a lot of people don't like the Michelin price.
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

FWIW: I have Goodyear Wrangler Radials(235/75R15) on mine. They've never really lost it on anything except slamming on the brakes in an emergency stop. Southeastern Ohio snow in a mountainous area, no problem(even going through yards with 6"+ of snow). Florida tropical storm Debby, no problem(a little dicey a couple times but went good). Central Missouri ice storms, nothing grabs on ice but my Jeep was pulling out duallies stuck in the ditches like it was nothing. Yes, there's a lot better, but for the cost and average traction(biased for highway/city travel), they work pretty dang good, and for $98-105/tire mounted and balanced, it's as good as I've found for on the cheap good tires. I'm looking to upgrade to the General Grabber AT2's as soon as I get the cash to replace tires AND blown VC at the same time(yeah, there's a bill to make you cry).
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #8
NewtoZJ
1998 ZJ 

I was thinking about getting some Mastercraft Courser AT2's in either a 225/75 R15 or 235/75 R15.

I do a lot of city driving, so I reckon the 235's would destroy my fuel mileage. I am currently waiting for some seals and my VC will be replaced. Wanted to treat my ZJ to some new rubber since I got it a new VC and bilstiens.
NewtoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

235s won't destroy your mileage. 31s, 32s, 35s will make a difference.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.