Looking at new Spark Plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking at new Spark Plugs

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 01-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
ChopperX
1997 ZJ 

Looking at new Spark Plugs

Hey guys so my car is due for a tuneup since I have never gotten one since I owned my jeep. I put 50K miles on it since I bought it in 08.

Instead of going to the auto shop and ******* II loads of money on labor I have a friend that has experience and he and I can do this together.

What do you recommend for plugs. I was looking at autozone and they had iridium and platinum plugs in addition to the standard plugs. Also if you think I should look elsewhere let me know. Any help and guidance would be great

ChopperX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
jbsj33p
1993 ZJ 

The 4.0 seems to like the basic champion coppers best, that's what I run in all my jeeps. For the distributor cap you might look into one with brass terminals, the brass holds up better than the aluminum and the brass caps seem to be better made than the aluminum caps.
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
NewtoZJ
1998 ZJ 

If you want to go all out with some good quality products, contact Kolak about his ignition upgrade.
NewtoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Stock Champion Coppers only. Or the Kolak upgrade.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 01:37 AM   #5
Speedymcracer01

I have bosch platinum +4's. They have a little over a 150k + on them. Just a few months ago i pulled them and cleaned them to find out they didn't have much wear at all. They are still going strong for a every day driver,and my 2 hour commute to work and back. I'm impressed they are in such good condition after around 4 years. They where around $6 to $7 dollars a plug. But these have been well worth it so far.
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
ChopperX
1997 ZJ 

Okay well it seems that I will look into the coppers because I drive 20 miles a day on city driving. So I think that should be fine.
ChopperX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Copper is what the motor is built to have. All that other stuff is just to make you feel cool.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
vivanapoli806

I just bought a crown tune up kit for my zj. Came with champion copper plugs I believe. You can get the entire tune up kit for $60 includes spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap with rotor, air filter, and oil filter. Pretty cheap for everything
vivanapoli806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Ditto, anything above the champion copper plugs is just for the cool factor. Doesn't help much. The only real benefits you might see out of dropping huge money on specialty plugs is longer lifespan. But for how much the cheapo plugs cost, it's pretty much the same in the long run just my $.02!
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
TKFlight
1995 ZJ 

Denso wires, champion plugs, accel crap/rotor. Champion plugs are what the most people run on this forum, I personally recommend Denso wires(I got recommended these on a thread before) . Also go with a Brass rotor, just do it. Its quite easy to install spark plugs, the only one that's hard to get to is the one next to the A/C. I also recommend investing in dielectric grease, but that's just me. Just Make sure your plugs are gaped to .035. So if you don't have a spark plug gapper, buy one lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.