Looking at my first Jeep! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking at my first Jeep!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #16
bigchieftaco
1997 ZJ 

Well, after talking it over with my dad, I think I am going to pull the trigger and buy the Jeep. Worst case scenario, I need a junk yard tranny for $120.
I think I will just change the engine oil and drive it as is until we get time to swap trannys or look into it more. I really need a second vehicle, winter is coming and all I have is a Nissan 350z and a Honda VTX1300c.
I have a 1994 Olds. 88 I will be taking to the junk yard to offset the cost of the Jeep. Total investment should be around $200 after junk car.

bigchieftaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
bigchieftaco
1997 ZJ 

Just a quick update, I found a 97 42RE tranny and flexplate for $90. I picked it up last night. Going to install it this week hopefully. I will update as I go.
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #18
bigchieftaco
1997 ZJ 

Got the tranny and transfer case dropped today. Replacing all the seals and gaskets. Dropped the oil pan as well to get to the rear main seal.
After looking at the tranny, it looks like the oil pump bushings are out. The shaft seems to have a lot of play.
Here is the bell housing shroud. What do you guys think?
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
bigchieftaco
1997 ZJ 

Oh yeah, I had a nice surprise when I removed the exhaust. The owner before my brother-in-law installed a header
Also, I changed the oil a week ago, and we just drained it yesterday. FILTHY! Looks like it's been in there for 10k miles. Going to get fresh oil again.
The oil pan was filthy too. We cleaned that out and took out the half an inch of sludge at the bottom. It looked like hot fudge, should of snapped a picture.
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #20
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I'm no transmission expert but that torn/hammered metal there looks suspicious.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #21
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Almost looks like the flex plate bolts were backed out enough to hit the inspection cover.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #22
bigchieftaco
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I'm no transmission expert but that torn/hammered metal there looks suspicious.
Yes, yes it does. Anyone know what that is called? I will need to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Almost looks like the flex plate bolts were backed out enough to hit the inspection cover.
Yeah, they line up directly with the flexplate bolts.
That must be why they welded them to stay on! They are so smart.

Hopefully this new tranny will last the life of this jeep.
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
bigchieftaco
1997 ZJ 

Alright, big update. Due to time restraints, I didn't get a new tranny to engine shim (the one that was all tore up). We tried looking for one locally but couldn't source one and didn't want to wait for on to come in the mail. We decided to beat the hell out of that one and make it work.

After getting everything back in, we were trying to bolt the flexplate on but we were off 1/4" on one hole no matter where we lined the bolts up. That's when I did some research and found out 93-95 flexplates are different than 96-98! We didn't want to take the tranny out again so we said screw it and egged the hole out more with a plasma cutter. That worked, it bolted up.
TIME TO START IT! We fired her up only to have our ear drums ripped apart by the loudest metal on metal sound ever. It turns out, that shim was bent so bad the flex plate bolts were hitting it worse than before. We crawled under there with something to pry with and after a good 10 minutes of fiddling with it we got the noise to a minimum. That's when we decided we have to buy a new shim

The reason we were in a hurry was because my dad had to leave for a business trip and wouldn't be back for a week. I ordered the parts and they came in yesterday, the day he came back. We got the tranny pulled and replaced the shim AND flexplate with new ones and everything is kosher now. Ended up getting the whole thing done in about 4 hours.

So in all, we replaced the flexplate, tranny shim, flexplate bolts, transmission, rear main seal, both oil pan gaskets, tranny filter, tranny fluid, fuel pump, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor.
Total investment including ZJ: ~$850 and a good 12 hours of work.

Now that's it driving again, next thing I'd like to get is a 3" BB or F>R spring swap with 31x10.5 tires.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.