Looking to lift my ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking to lift my ZJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #1
arbrnrngr

Looking to lift my ZJ

Hi there, Im new to the forum and pretty new to ZJ's. I purchased a ZJ about a year ago and I'm now wanting to lift it. Im wanting to go between 3.5-4.5 and im pretty sure im going with iron rock.

I have a couple questions though,

This things going to be a daily driver for the most part besides some light puddle jumping and maybe seeing the snow with the kids, so do i?

1: Do I really need adjustable control arms for a daily driver?
2: how long can i get away with not having a slip yoke eliminator kit installed?
I plan on getting one eventually but im at a 800-1000 budget and id like to get a decent set of tires on it so as of now im holding off on the driveline area.

Im up for alternate suggestions on lifts too, this is going to be a pretty truck for the most part until i get around to working on my dedicated wheeler.

arbrnrngr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
arbrnrngr

And for reference my absolute budget is 1164 but im trying not to spend all that just on lift id like to have a couple hundered left for some tires.
arbrnrngr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #3
nickhay13
1998 ZJ 

I have 5.5" of lift and no SYE.
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

IRO 3.5 with new rear coils and add the trackbars. Trim a bit and run wheel adaptors and JK takeoffs.

No SYE or transfer case drop needed.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
melk
1996 ZJ 

What's the back spacing on JK rims?

Are they 15x7 or 15x8 ?
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

17x7.5, 6" BS

The adaptors bring it down to 4.75" BS which will work with the JK tire width.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

No sye needed I'm at 6" and perfect Adj control arms are defiantly needed

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

what size tire do you want to run?

31s? 2" budget boost. cheap.
32s? 3.5" at minimum and some trimming of fenders/bumpers
33s" 4.5" at least and lots of trimming.

figure out tires and lift it around that.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

good luck getting a decent 3.5-4.5" lift AND decent all terrain tires for under $1100. My 30x9.5r15 firestone destination A/Ts from tirerack.com cost me $720 alone. wouldve been another like $100 on top of that if i had to pay a tire shop to mount them, luckily i have access to the mounting and balancing equipment in auto shop at school.

That said, If you're just planning on light trails and some snow, I would go with a 2" budget boost and a good set of shocks. You can pick up a set of pucks on ebay for around 75 bucks, maybe a little cheaper. You can get a nice set of Bilstein shocks from Kolak for around $300.

Thats what I did, and I have no problem keeping up with my uncle in his JK on 32s.
Unread 02-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Tony
1995 ZJ 

I've been going over this same idea for the past month and finally decided the best look and bang for the buck if you are doing light offroad on a daily driver is a 2" BB with Cragar soft 8's and 30x9.5x15 BFG all Terrain TA's. I have the BB istalled (actually just 1" that I had laying around) and got the wheels yestrerday. Soon will buy tires. Final cost with just that will be around $1100. I considered the IRO 3.5" kit too but put the money into the wheels instead. This is my starting point. I'll post another pic if I get the tires soon.
img_0327.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.