looking into a 5.9L limited - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > looking into a 5.9L limited

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #16
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

i love my 5.9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ndard-1056365/
5.9 ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #17
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inavacuum View Post
I don't think he was saying that is the better of the options, he was just pointing out that just because the VC is toast, doesn't mean the whole TC is bad.
Correct. Bad VC DOES NOT mean TC HAS TO BE REPLACED.
If the option is good, bad or indifferent is not the point. The point is that it is an option. Some people actually like their full-time 249. I have a hundred and thirty thousand mostly interstate miles on mine and is still fine. When it fails it will be a good time to do a TC swap.
IslandManMitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
chromedisguise
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandManMitch View Post
Correct. Bad VC DOES NOT mean TC HAS TO BE REPLACED.
If the option is good, bad or indifferent is not the point. The point is that it is an option. Some people actually like their full-time 249. I have a hundred and thirty thousand mostly interstate miles on mine and is still fine. When it fails it will be a good time to do a TC swap.
I now I'm a newb to this whole thing, but what is better about the 242 vs the 249? And to verify, I have the 249 stock on my '98 5.9?
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

242 has a 2wd option, while the 249 does not. Also as previously posted, the viscous coupler in the 249 goes bad easily.
USN Jeep Club #115
-Shoey- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #20
chromedisguise
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Shoey- View Post
242 has a 2wd option, while the 249 does not. Also as previously posted, the viscous coupler in the 249 goes bad easily.
By easily, do you mean it doesn't take much abuse? Or it doesn't take much mileage? I ask because I used to have a 1994 ZJ and I'm not sure if it had the 249 but I do know it was full time 4WD and it had 250,000 with no VC problems I was aware of.
Unread 10-05-2009, 04:28 AM   #21
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

It depends on how it was driven, how often it spun tires in snow, etc. If it was ever run with differently worn tires. If well cared for and not abused, I can believe 250,000 out of one. For an average owner, 100,000 to 150,000 is more common. Some fail earlier. Luck plays in here as well.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #22
Zwildm30
1998 ZJ 

My 249 has 204k miles on the clock and still doesnt bind. Guess it all depends on alot of variables.

http://www.proshooter.org/cgi/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
Zwildm30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #23
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

The 249 is not a weak TC. I have pulled a 18' tandem trailer loaded with a tractor that weighs in just under 6,000# total load for the past 3 years for long distances has to prove something. Granted the only time I offroad is during hunting season. In Florida that is a little mud and a lot of deep sand. I run stock tires. The fact that the VC will fail one day is not really a problem. The cost of a replacement VC is the problem to me. When mine dies I will look into changing to a non VC TC. But then again trying to find a different TC, trying to match up drive shafts and joint connections, I may go back to a simple VC replacement. This one has over 130,000 and still works fine. I may not live long enough to wear out another one?
IslandManMitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #24
chromedisguise
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
It depends on how it was driven, how often it spun tires in snow, etc. If it was ever run with differently worn tires. If well cared for and not abused, I can believe 250,000 out of one. For an average owner, 100,000 to 150,000 is more common. Some fail earlier. Luck plays in here as well.
I know whichever one was on my old '94 ZJ was rock solid because I abused the heck out of that Jeep. I regret not taking care of her, ever. Let's just say that in the time I owned her (nearly 2 years), I probably changed the oil once? Twice maybe? lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.