Looking at buying this ZJ to fix up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking at buying this ZJ to fix up

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
XC_Jeeps
2002 WJ 

Looking at buying this ZJ to fix up

Hey guys I was wondering what you think of the damage on this ZJ. The guy is trying to sell it for 700, but if I get him down to like 300 then I currently plan on buying it.

Quote:
From Craigslist ad: It has 197,304 miles on it and still runs good. Was involved in an accident with a concrete post at a slow speed and suffered damage to the right front fender and bumper as you can see in the pictures, but other than that the body of the vehicle is in great shape, as with the interior. Windshield also has a slight crack and the ceiling is drooping down, but from age of vehicle. Brakes and rotors have been recently replaced as with a new water pump. A/C does not work either. Has a CD player installed also.
So do you guys think this is a good deal? Do you think I could pretty easily put on a fender and bumper from a junkyard after straightening out the bent areas?

Thanks a lot!

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Not worth it. Front rebar has to be removed and a new one welded on for a proper fix, that fender is all mangled. That wasn't a low speed collision. You can't fix that by slapping a few parts on.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You really don't want to be messing with the front crossmember.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
XC_Jeeps
2002 WJ 

Alright, thanks guys
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

If he were going at a slow speed he wouldn't have hit that concrete post, and it wouldn't have looked like an IED hit it. Good price, but not it.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

300 would be a good parts jeep
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
XC_Jeeps
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
300 would be a good parts jeep
Well I don't have a ZJ right now, just a WJ, so I was hoping this could be fixed up and be made into a good trail rig, but I will keep looking.
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
ls6777
1995 ZJ 

If anything, you could use it as a donor vehicle for a non-mangled ZJ. I wouldn't want to mess with anything with mangled unibody though. Not to mention, it would probably be cheaper to buy a ZJ already built up a bit because you're going to be spending $1000's to $10,000's to build a ZJ trail rig yourself. Just my 2 cents.

You're not interested in building your WJ? Or you want to keep it DD?
95' ZJ Limited: 5.2L, 46RH, BFG 33/12.50R15 ATs, TJ D44 4.10 Rubicon Axles, 4.5" Premium IRO lift, Billstein 5125's, NVG241OR Rubicon 4:1 TC, Mark VIII Electric Fan conversion, 160 amp alternator, Custom front bumper with Warn XD9000i, Griffin HD Radiator, IRO Belly skid, SkidRow Engine/Tranny skid Next Mod: RockHard Back Bumper and Roll Cage
ls6777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Jeeps View Post
Hey guys I was wondering what you think of the damage on this ZJ. The guy is trying to sell it for 700, but if I get him down to like 300 then I currently plan on buying it.

So do you guys think this is a good deal? Do you think I could pretty easily put on a fender and bumper from a junkyard after straightening out the bent areas?

Thanks a lot!

My sister got drunk a few years back and decided it was a good idea to park her jeep into a brick wall. It looked worse than your future buy. My old man rebuilt it and drives it to this day. It can be done but its a LOT of wok. I agree, if you have the means get it for parts.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls6777 View Post
Not to mention, it would probably be cheaper to buy a ZJ already built up a bit because you're going to be spending $1000's to $10,000's to build a ZJ trail rig yourself. Just my 2 cents.
i strongly disagree with the statement i underlined. JMO, but i would never buy a lifted/off-road built up vehicle. better to get one thats virgin, that way you know its most likely been taken care of and not driven to hell and back.

to the OP: looks like an excellent parts truck if you could get it for 3-400. if you bought another ZJ in better shape body wise, you could take what you want off the first one, then part out the rest of it. probably make a decent amount of money
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
XC_Jeeps
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
i strongly disagree with the statement i underlined. JMO, but i would never buy a lifted/off-road built up vehicle. better to get one thats virgin, that way you know its most likely been taken care of and not driven to hell and back.

to the OP: looks like an excellent parts truck if you could get it for 3-400. if you bought another ZJ in better shape body wise, you could take what you want off the first one, then part out the rest of it. probably make a decent amount of money
Definitely agree with all of this... how can you say "built not bought" without building it yourself? Anyway, I've been emailing back and forth with the seller and he says he won't got below 600 so I'm gonna pass on this one. Luckily there is a good supply of ZJ's that show up on craigslist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls6777 View Post

You're not interested in building your WJ? Or you want to keep it DD?
My WJ is my DD so yeah I'm pretty content with my budget boost and 32's right now... but I'm sure I'll eventually cave and lift her some more haha
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
melk
1996 ZJ 

Did the front axle/steering/suspension get mangled at all it is it just the body?

Front cross member looks fine. Good lines for a front bob. If its gonna be a trail rig.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
XC_Jeeps
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Did the front axle/steering/suspension get mangled at all it is it just the body?

Front cross member looks fine. Good lines for a front bob. If its gonna be a trail rig.
axle, suspension, and steering are all fine, he said that I could drive it home
Unread 02-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
melk
1996 ZJ 

Do you weld?

Cut off the bent corner piece up to where the hole in the front member is. You'll have clean open access to the 'rail' to weld plate to.

If you run new wire for the battery you can relocate it further back (need to fab up a tray mount obviously) and then if you look at the wheel well there's an obvious crease line where the two pieces meet. Ideal place to dovetail the nose. Pretty much what I'll be doing. Mines still my dd so the build is going slow but I've got it nearly all prepped.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.