Looking at buying 5.9, quick question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking at buying 5.9, quick question

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 01-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Looking at buying 5.9, quick question

The cutouts in the bumper in this pic, do you think they're from mounting a brushguard? It's weird that the clearcoat and paint are flaking like that too because the rest of the vehicle's paint looks great.

Going to look at it this wknd, it apparently had a small fire from a short in the driver's power seat module and ruined that seat and the console. I can find both of these items and am not worried but I wonder if the short may have ruined other electronics? It's a 3hr drive for me so I'm trying to prepare for the worst instead of idealizing the ultimate ZJ.

What do you think?

Unread 01-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Jones
Consider the following...

If the drivetrain is in good condition and you can get it for a decent price then go for. Most of the cosmetic issues can be fixed or replaced for a reasonable cost. The 5.9 is the ultimate ZJ.
Unread 01-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Yeah, a new bumper is only $125 and I can paint it myself but I was just curious as to why the cutouts are there and why the clearcoat would peel & flake only on the bumper and not anywhere else on the vehicle (perhaps something was spilled on it?).

I can definitely get it for a good price but I must sell my current ZJ first.
Unread 01-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
0oJeepo0
1998 ZJ 

I dont think the bumper is a big issue...there definitely could have been a brushguard on there and they might not have liked it so they may have took it off? I would definitely ask them about it but like you said a bumper isnt that expensive and if you can paint it yourself tha's great too. What year is this ZJ?

3" Kolak Exhaust w/FM 50 SUV, K&N FIPK 57 Series, 245/70/16 Goodyear Fortera TripleTred
0oJeepo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Jones
Consider the following...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0oJeepo0 View Post
What year is this ZJ?
All 5.9's are 98's. Unless you swap one in an older ZJ.
Unread 01-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Ya, it's a factory 5.9, 2nd owner has had it for the last 4yrs and purchased it off his friend who was the original owner. He said that everybody is scared off by the seat and console damage but I know where I can get a complete set of seats for a 5.9 locally for $400 and the console will have to be from a 5.2 limited so I will probably lose the leather armrest feature. I'm still waiting on pics of the interior damage but hopefully the shifter, bezel & woodgrain, TC & e-brake levers are all still good as they are leather-wrapped and it would be hard to find those used.

Can't wait!
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

i paid $3500 for my 5.9L one owner with 107k miles on it..... that electrical fire may have damaged other wires, honestly i would stay away if it were me and i'm a jeep mechanic, you dont know what could have caused the fire, and does the vehicle run? if not then definately no, you dont know if there are any other issues with it. i looked at four 5.9's and 3 of them needed a rear differential, so watch, those 5.9's are usually beat to death.
vansskaterfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

This one runs and drives just fine, the power seat functions just don't work anymore and seat is pretty much destroyed, there are apparently no other issues than this. I'm just waiting for pics of the interior to see if I should bother looking at it, but honestly, the guy seems up front about little things like a rust spot inside the liftgate and the rear wiper motor is finicky, and the VIC gives the notorious 'rear lamp failure' warning when nothing's wrong. I'm hoping it isn't too good to be true.

If the rear diff is bad will it howl on the hwy or something? I know I can test the trac-lock LSD by seeing how the snow flies behind when I step on it but are there any other signs/symptoms of a bad rear diff to look for? I'll definitely check the diff fluid's colour.
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
darkfour
1998 ZJ 

My 5.9 is the same color and is peeling and flaking on the front bumper in exactly the same places. Rest of the paint is fine though. Not sure that helps you much.
darkfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfour View Post
My 5.9 is the same color and is peeling and flaking on the front bumper in exactly the same places. Rest of the paint is fine though. Not sure that helps you much.
Oh, cool, thanks. Strange though, I can just repaint it for next to nothing anyway, but I'd probably end up taking it off until it's lifted so I can run 31's without rubbing like I do on my current ZJ. Even with some trimming and wheel spacers the front tires are still hitting my bumper.
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
jutgin
2013 JK Wrangler 

let me hijack real quick, what kind of gas mileage you 5.9's getting?
jutgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
darkfour
1998 ZJ 

15mpg about town, but that was with a busted plenum gasket and I was using a quart of oil every 300-400 miles too. I've had that fixed now so I'm hoping I may see a slight improvement
darkfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

how much ?
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #14
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

I'm expecting around 12-14mpg avg for a 5.9 with an even mix of city/hwy. 17-18mpg hwy max during warmer months with 31's is my expectiation.

Price: let's just say I'll break even if I sell mine and that's including the repair costs of the interior and everything on the road.
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #15
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Well , good luck on the MPG`s . I guess everyone`s experiences are different based on driving habits . I has a 2WD 2001 Dakota R/T 5.9 . Nice quick lil` truck , but the 5.9 was a pig on gas breaking it in , before I sold it I was averaging 13 , but , I did say it was quick !!

I can`t believe you won`t tell me the price , lol . I got a guy comin to look at my 93 tonite , I`m getting $5000 or very very close to it , 40 yr old family man , good chance it will sell , he`s inquired 3 times , tonite he see`s it
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.