Looking to buy my first ever jeep. need advice please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking to buy my first ever jeep. need advice please

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
moparfreak2

Looking to buy my first ever jeep. need advice please

Alright, i'll try to keep this short.
I've been doing alot of research here about the I6 vs the V8. I'm specifically looking at grand cherokees having two kids the suv is necessary. Gas mileage is a concern of mine. I've owned a hemi ram before and that thing had every gas station on autopilot. The main purpose of this jeep will be around town driving and driving on the beach. I will also tow a small trailer for landscaping occasionally. From what i've read the v8 seems the way to go, but i'm scared to get myself into another gas pig situation. Any advice or thoughts? My budget is around 2 grand so i'll be looking at 100k or more miles i'm sure.

moparfreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

I really really like my I6. I have a k&N air filter, and upgraded the fuel injectors and on the freeway I am averaging about 23-25mpg on flat ground, and about 17-19 around town. I also think the I6s are easier to work on when its needed, and you WILL need to work on them at some point, lol...
AaronButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
NewtoZJ
1998 ZJ 

I'd say the I6 is adequate for what you described. Just find and test drive a few in your budget and see what you prefer.
NewtoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

and also, if your budget is 2 grand, you are looking more into the 150k+ mile range. At least where I lived thats what the market was. Anything cheaper and you will probably find yourself spending a bit more just to get it running. Props if you find a great deal though!
AaronButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The MPG difference between the v8 and I6 is negligible stock. Maybe 1-2 mpg. Until you start adding larger tires and weighing it down and hauling stuff around then the I6 is a poor choice since it's already underpowered with 3:55 gears(most of them) and a smaller motor that has to work harder. The v8 is a much better choice for towing and hauling stuff around(people/cargo). I drove an I6 before and after that I have had two v8's. The I6 is a good wheeler though with up graded gears and a lift.

Don't get a ZJ if you are concerned about fuel and maintenance. They are reliable if you stay on top of them but after the initial purchase there will probably be quite a bit of money spent on replacing old parts. That is the best answer I can give you.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
moparfreak2

whatever i buy will stay stock. Except if i get the 8 it will get a flowmaster original 40. a friend had that setup back in highschool and it sounded sick. I would just rather stay in the above 20 range on the highway. i don't see that with an v8. I'm also going by the fact that the v8 will move the GC around easier especially on the beach.
moparfreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfreak2 View Post
whatever i buy will stay stock. Except if i get the 8 it will get a flowmaster original 40. a friend had that setup back in highschool and it sounded sick. I would just rather stay in the above 20 range on the highway. i don't see that with an v8. I'm also going by the fact that the v8 will move the GC around easier especially on the beach.
You will have a hard time with over 20mpg either way unless you stay at 60-65 or under. That's when the mileage take a big hit because they are giant bricks. Both of these trucks are terrible with city driving and the more weight you pile into the 4.0 the worse it gets and it also has 0 balls on the highway for passing or on ramps. If you leave it stock but do all the motor exhaust bolt ons then it should help highway driving. You can get an SCT Hemifever tuner for the v8 which has 3 setting from economy to performance. The V8 responds well to those mods.
There is one guy on here that put a turbo on his 4.0 and it seems to be pretty quick.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.