Looking to buy a '97 .... what to look for ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking to buy a '97 .... what to look for ?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 10-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
ChiefRocka
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Looking to buy a '97 .... what to look for ?

OK guys ...

I currently own a 94 Cherokee (4.0, auto) with 192k miles on it.

It runs like a top. Picked it up from the OG owners who were going to donate it .. stole it for $500 !!

It has never let me down.

It needs tires, and suspension is all worn out (bushings and t rods)

Being that it needs all this anyway, my plan was to lift it and run a bigger tire.

My neighbor has a white and gold '97 Grand for sale. Body is super clean, V8 and has 180k on it.

He is asking $2400 (I think that is a little high, myself)

Anyway, he mentioned the power seat does work, but everything else does.

New tranny 4 years ago. He purchased it from the OG owner for his daughter, who doesnt want it.

I like the fact the rear axle is also a link style.

Thoughts ?

What should I look at ??

Thanks !

ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If the plenum gasket hasn't been replaced it's 100% bet that it needs replacing. It goes bad on every magnum motor. Factory mistake. The viscous coupler in the T case may be bad. All rubber bushings need replacing if they are original. Other odds and ends like new shocks, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, ect.

The plenum kit is about 120, the VC is about 320, all stock control arms with new bushings may be 200ish maybe more, motor and tranny mount can be anywhere from 100 to 300 if you get really good ones that last forever. Look on rockauto.com.

When I got my 5.9 at 127k miles it needed all of that and it was in almost mint condition otherwise with no rust. Plus the radiator cracked, harmonic balancer went out, motor mounts and tranny mount were shot, shocks were done, ss was leaking, it needed a tie rod end, brakes and rotors, and the VC was toast. The tranny gov pressure sensor went bad, just replaced the water pump, rear end needed new carrier bearings and a track lok rebuild...... There is probably more over the years I am leaving out but you get the picture. It's a 15-16 year old truck and it's gonna need some TLC and new parts to ride like new again.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
WJ4x4LIFE

Agreed, I just snagged a 94' 5.2L 207xxx for 1500. I however know the the owner I purchased it from did a lot of maintenance. I will however replace my plenum gasket on the safe side and rebuild my 249 before it decides to take a **** before winter comes here.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ4x4LIFE View Post
Agreed, I just snagged a 94' 5.2L 207xxx for 1500. I however know the the owner I purshased it from did a lot of maintenance. I will however replace my plenum gasket on the safe side and rebuild my 249 before it decides to take a **** before winter comes here.
The VC doesn't suddenly go out. It gets worse little by little over time. You can feel it binding more and more when you take tight turns. If it's not doing that then I wouldn't worry about it. Rarely does anything else go wrong with the 249 besides the VC unless it's abused. The silicon fluid inside is designed to solidify instantly when wheel slip is detected to make traction. Over time from hardening and turning back to a liquid it gets worn out and starts to stay hardened. Then it starts making power all the time in the front end wearing stuff out. You can really feel it when it's going bad when you do figure 8 turns with the wheel turned all the way.
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

The VC doesn't suddenly go out. It gets worse little by little over time. You can feel it binding more and more when you take tight turns. If it's not doing that then I wouldn't worry about it. Rarely does anything else go wrong with the 249 besides the VC unless it's abused.
See, it is good to take in all the advice some owners give, I know a bit, but I will rely on a ZJ Owner for the mean time, until I get to know mine just a little more. Thank you, sir.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ4x4LIFE View Post
See, it is good to take in all the advice some owners give, I know a bit, but I will rely on a ZJ Owner for the mean time, until I get to know mine just a little more. Thank you, sir.
I'm only on my second V8. I took a break for a few years and made a dumb choice to get a car. The first ZJ I had for ten years and it was fantastic. I sold the car obviously haha

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.