Looking to buy a 97 Grand Cherokee TSi - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-31-2005, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
rolsen74

Looking to buy a 97 Grand Cherokee TSi

I am looking to buy a 1997 Grand Cherokee today and wanted to see what the general opinion would be, I dont want to buy a problem.
Its a 97 GC TSi with the inline six and towing package. 78,055 Miles on it and a recent trade in at the local dealer. The inside is spotless and I have only found a few minor things as bargaining power.

What should I be looking for as potential problems with these models? I have been reading mixed opinions and one major concern is the transmission...seems that there have been problems? I am buying another vehicle because I just lost reverse in my Pathfinder. I want to go back to Jeep again, but I dont want to lose another tranny.

Any advice, suggestions etc would be appreciated....

Also, it seems to have that (common?) exhaust leak until warmed up?

Thanks.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-31-2005, 09:01 AM
jbjones1

2 wd or 4 wd if 4 which transfer case? if the 249 (quaratech all time 4wd) do figure 8's in a parking lot and look for any signs of binging in the wheels which means the Viscious coupler is about to be gone.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-31-2005, 09:26 AM
Derek33

1997 ZJ 

like he said^ if it has the 249 t-case (4 all time), do figure 8's (or tight turns) in the parking lot and if the wheels skip or bind, then the viscous coupler could be bad (piece in the 249 t-case) and thats about a 1k dollar repair (maybe a bit less)

check the basics irrelevent to just jeeps too. u-joints, cv boots/joints, bushings, exhaust leaks.

i have the same model, except i have the 5.2 motor. great jeep, you'll enjoy it.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-31-2005, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
rolsen74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjones1
2 wd or 4 wd if 4 which transfer case? if the 249 (quaratech all time 4wd) do figure 8's in a parking lot and look for any signs of binging in the wheels which means the Viscious coupler is about to be gone.
It is 4wd, but I do not believe that it is the ALL time 4wd, it has the Full and Part time on the shift ? I did not have a spec sheet on the vehicle.

I plan on having them put it up on a lift for me to get a good look under to check the boots and joints.

I do suspect a crack in the header or the connection between the header and pipe. There was slight exhaust noise until the engine warmed.

Any known problems with the rear axles, i "might" have heard a vibration or hum on the rear passenger side...Could have been the tire or possible bearing...but then again I only noticed it once on the test drive.

So the only things i have noticed as "wrong" with it so far is that:
1. When testing the AC (works) and moving the dial to the front vents, it wasnt changing over...it was still blowing out the defrost and floor vents?

2. The exhaust noise.

I also plan on checking the oil and tranny fluid, as they havent changed it so it should be a good check.

They are asking 6495.00 and offering 500 for my "forward driving only" Pathfinder.

What do you think?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-31-2005, 10:45 AM
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

The right rear noise could also be parking brake pad. the 97s and 98s are pretty good years for ZJs, most of the problems were worked out (typically tranny and heat/AC in eariler model years). you can identify the quadrtrac by TC selector- it has only 4HI, N and 4LO; the selectrack has a 2WD, 4-full time, 4 part time, N, and 4LO positions

Doug
When all is said and done, more is said than done.
Platinum '97 ZJ LTD, I6 (see profile) Paid for!
Links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for ZJ & WJ stuff,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for performance stuff. I6 performance info at

Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
post #6 of 6 Old 05-31-2005, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
rolsen74

Excellent. Sounds as though it has the Selectrac . I will still check out the 4 wheel drive though, I didn't have a chance to put it into 4 on the test drive. I'll do that today.
Almost time to leave work and head over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.