Looking for Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Looking for Advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 09-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Sandbox
2004 WJ 

Looking for Advice

Hello...Former TJ owner here who's making the jump to the 4 dr Jeep world. Last summer my TJ lost out to my Honda Coupe because of my 120 mile round trip commute with the intentions of buying another one in a year or two.

Well, now we're about to have our 2nd child (a boy this time) and I need 4 doors. So, I'm going to look at a 2000 Grand Limited this weekend. Anything about the WJ's I need to look for or should stay away from? Any advice would be much appreciated!

I does have the 4.7 but, I'm not sure about the rest of the drivetrain.

Thanks again!

Chris

"DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI"
Sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Blend doors are a very common problem on WJs that have the auto climate control. They control the hot/cold air blend that comes out of the vents. They are inside the heater box so fixing them involves removing the
dash - $800+ at a shop or $120 in parts + a good 8 hours of your time.

The typical symptom they are bad is you'll have no heat, usually on the passenger side only.

You can also check them by running a diagnostic on the climate control system. To do this, hold the a/c and recirc buttons while turning the left temp control knob one click clockwise. Codes will then display. Anything in the 20's or 50's is usually bad news.

Another common problem with the V8 WJs is bearings in the D44a rear axle. Listen for noise coming from this area.

All the other common problems are not deal breakers because they are pretty easily and cheaply fixed.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
Sandbox
2004 WJ 

Thanks.....The seller did say that he did some work to the rear axle a bit ago. I will check the blend doors.
Unread 09-29-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
Sandbox
2004 WJ 

So, I tried what you said about checking the codes. A/C and recirc together while turning the left knob one click clockwise. It came up with a 54 but, if you turn the knob again in either direction, it scrolls thru a long list of numbers. Is the list just the possible codes and 54 is just the only active code? Every time I did it, it came up with 54. None of the service guys claimed to know anything about this. It was a Chrysler dealer but not a Jeep Dealer. Maybe that had something to do with it. Any advise?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.