look at these beautiful control arm bushings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > look at these beautiful control arm bushings

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
pumaman
1994 ZJ 

look at these beautiful control arm bushings

Pulled these off of a 94 zj with 170k miles. The rest were pretty much the same.

On another note, I managed to take off the upper front bushings from the dana 30 axle with a rotary hammer and bullpoint chisel. I was planning on putting in the new ones by freezing them and pressing them in with a long 5/16" bolt and some big washers since my OTC C-frame press has disappeared. Anybody try this?

pumaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Were they making any noise? Did your front end feel loose going over bumps?
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
pumaman
1994 ZJ 

Yes and yes. clunked all the time, mostly when braking, or taking a turn.
pumaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
kachink
1998 ZJ 

I'd recommend a ball joint press for the two uppers on the axle.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I'd recommend replacing the arms. Cost is not much more than just bushings and its a lot less work.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 04:50 AM   #6
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Raybestos arms may come with clevite bushings if they sell arms. The axle bushings I got were raybestos and were clevite. I just got mopar arms, but thats just me. Next go round will look into WJ arms.
Unread 06-26-2014, 04:58 AM   #7
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Amazing to me how they roll the steel inserts into oblong misshapen wear inducing sleeves. Must be hard as granite but guaranteed to make noise and fail early. Welcome to the US auto industry.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan2 View Post
Amazing to me how they roll the steel inserts into oblong misshapen wear inducing sleeves. Must be hard as granite but guaranteed to make noise and fail early. Welcome to the US auto industry.
I think that as long as the metal is thick enough not to deform, then once the arms are installed and torqued, the friction and pressure from the bracket mounts keeps the insert from moving (otherwise you'd see marks on the ones shown above). So it wouldn't really matter too much if the insert isn't a perfect concentric, circular, tight fit around the thru-bolt.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Mine looked pretty similar hahah old car problems

Sent from somewhere besides my computer
Unread 06-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Cheap bushings and the inserts do slide a little . Good clevite bushings have not given me issue yet .

Eric , changing these bushings from the arms is not much effort at all . Tools needed : Hammer and a block of wood . I could change out the lowers and uppers in about 10 maybe 15 mins once off the jeep . Also giving the option to upgrade the axle side frt lower to a solid bushing (order for XJ) . Don't have to wonder if the bushings are clevite either . I can understand corrosion being an issue for some , in which case , buy new arms . Mine have never seen that issue , infact , my front lowers are bent but still intact after my accident , and broke off both frt lower axle mounts . His look good , I'd just go buy the clevite bushings (aka premium) from the local parts store . Too easy .

OP , I have a thread with a video
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #11
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

I changed mine with newfie's method. Couldn't be simpler, and a great way to get out pent up aggression.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan2 View Post
Amazing to me how they roll the steel inserts into oblong misshapen wear inducing sleeves.
The rubber is bonded to the sleeve so it doesn't matter.
Unread 06-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
PTECH
1998 ZJ 

Anyone got a good method for replacing the bushings for the front upper control arms that are in the axle housing?
PTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #14
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Burning rubber out, collapsing bushing housing with a chisel. Drilling bushing out same with chisel. Or use a combo of washers and allthread to draw the assembly out, C clamp and large sockets, or just wait for months searching for a deal on the right tool to do it with.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...build-1518536/

post12
Unread 06-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #15
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTECH View Post
Anyone got a good method for replacing the bushings for the front upper control arms that are in the axle housing?
I rented a ball joint press and made it work. A pretty big pita. I tried the all thread/washer contraption some people made and used with success, didn't work for me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.