Locking Rear Differential - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Locking Rear Differential

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-08-2002, 12:33 PM   #1
jeff_connors

Locking Rear Differential

First post! Hey, My Grand cherokee ltd was a street only until I bought it. I live on top of a hill with a limestone drive. Last winter I slide down backwards with kids in there in wet snow. Went over a 5' bank but better than the 50'-70' on top! (I should have known better) The tires are road tires which I'm going to change to better gripping ones. Question: Will it also make a difference to put in a locking differential? My buddy is a mechanic and he said only one front/one rear wheel is powered. If so, any recommendations for purchase? How hard a job is it? Thanks!!

Unread 10-08-2002, 05:55 PM   #2
Camster

a locking differential won't help you any with braking preformance (like i believe you're talking about sliding down your hill) however they would enable you to get back up it as the locker would require both wheels get power all the time instead of it all going to the one with the least traction. this will cause you some problems with normal driving however (besides a limited-slip differential or a selectable locker) as when you turn your inside wheel has to turn less than your outside wheel. but whatever you want really, it will enhance your off-road ability ten fold.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2002, 06:05 PM   #3
jeff_connors

Braking was not my concern but traction going up the hill in the winter. A locking rear differential would give me more help there but since it's a differential, does it not adjust when turning corners? If not, I don't think it would be practical but great for going up the hill!!
Unread 10-08-2002, 06:40 PM   #4
Camster

it does adjust it's just a lil different than what you're used to...but you probably need to ask someone who actually has one

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2002, 09:19 PM   #5
Digger196

if you want better traction, get better tires. Lockers wont do you any good on ice/snow. Lockers are used to transfer power to wheels that are on the ground and not in the air and to space the power evenly. In the winter think about snow tires or chains.
Digger196 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2002, 09:40 PM   #6
jeff_connors

thanks. The road is snow covered in the winter and very steep. The tires are on the ground so thought lockers would double my traction(?)

Better tires are a must. road tires are no good. They are quiet and make for a nice ride on the road but that is it.
Unread 10-08-2002, 10:02 PM   #7
Digger196

if it is steep invest in some chains. much cheaper than lockers and will give you tons more traction!!!!!
Digger196 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 05:25 PM   #8
Dude236

id invest in some all terrain tires preferably bfg if you have the money, or you can go with some muds if you plan to take it offroad besides your driveway
Dude236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.