Locking the rear???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Locking the rear????

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
OnlyJeep4me
1998 ZJ 

Locking the rear????

Ok, so I did a search on locking the rear and read and read and read and still do not have any clear defined answers in my head.

Can anyone help with this decision? I have a 98 ZJ with a 4.0 and a 35C rear end. The powertrax looks like a very straight forward install unless I am missing something. Is there anything that I need to be aware of?

This is a daily driver that I use for pulling a trailer, boat and fishing and hunting on the weekends. Just do not like getting stuck on the back roads.

OnlyJeep4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Are you running big tires or basically stock sizes? IF so, you can get a detroit locker or a limited slip for the rear. OR a limited slip for the front and rear. I would suggest that if you are working on the diffs and adding a traction device that if you are planning on regearing in the future to go ahead and do it all at once. That way you aren't covering the same ground twice.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

powertrax about the same as an aussie ... Isn't it... if so ,then it's way cheaper
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
OnlyJeep4me
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
Are you running big tires or basically stock sizes? IF so, you can get a detroit locker or a limited slip for the rear. OR a limited slip for the front and rear. I would suggest that if you are working on the diffs and adding a traction device that if you are planning on regearing in the future to go ahead and do it all at once. That way you aren't covering the same ground twice.

Hunter
Just the good ole stockers, 235/15's. The tag on the diff cover was removed before I purchased the vehicle. Is there any way to find out what the gear ratio is?

Last edited by OnlyJeep4me; 02-12-2008 at 08:28 AM..
OnlyJeep4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

build sheet.... probably a link in the FAQ
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
mendelmax
2004 WJ 

You can find the ratio by rotating the wheel and counting the driveshaft turns.

However, if you are stock, and planning to keep it that way, then maybe as hunter suggested, you may think about LSD? Truetrac for example. It's more friendly on the road, and will help offroad. The only drawback in this situation is the need to set gears when installing, but since you are not touching pinion it's not that hard.
POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #11

Anyway, nothing will beat Suzuki :D
mendelmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
hipower47
1998 ZJ 

i installed powertrax no-slip in both my 97 TJ and 02 KJ with no real problem. they work great and you can hole-shot just about anybody from a stop light in a snow storm leaving the slipping and slidding traffic behind. two neg. though, when you backup in an arc (like out of a drive-way) and then go forward, it relocks kind of harshly. the other is when driving straight in snow or any slippery surface it fish-tails very easy if your not careful. i recommend this locker and plan on installing one in my newly aquired 98 ZJ. also easy to install.
dave.
hipower47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.