Locking Hubs/Transfer Case Swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Locking Hubs/Transfer Case Swap?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
jczj318
1998 ZJ 

Locking Hubs/Transfer Case Swap?

So, I just bought a jeep, and I am trying to get some information. I do not know many of the specifics, (transfer case model, transmission model, axle model) but if someone told me how to find it, I would relate the information if it would be helpful.

The transmission has been changed on the vehicle, as has the engine. It is currently in 2wd, but the 4wd shifter is set to 4wd Full Time. The front drive shaft is not mounted, but I have it. What I want to be able to do, is to be able to switch to awd and back to 2wd without having to mount the drive shaft. I have heard this is possible by either changing the transfer case (probably very expensive) or installing locking hubs. I do not know where to start looking for hubs, and I am unsure how to match a transfer case to this particular transmission. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jczj318; 10-21-2010 at 11:03 AM..
jczj318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczj318 View Post
. . . What I want to be able to do, is to be able to switch to 4wd and back to 2wd without having to mount the drive shaft. . .
This statement does not make any sense. You must have a driveshaft if you want to switch to 4wd!!!

Sounds to me like the most important question you need answered is why is the front driveshaft removed in the first place. The answer is usually not pretty.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
jczj318
1998 ZJ 

Well, the vehicle has quadra-trac I believe, and i was told it was "hopping" on dry tar, so the front drive shaft was taken out, leaving just the rear. hope this helps.

i would be satisfied with AWD (by remounting the front drive shaft) but am discouraged with the "hopping" problem - probably not a good sign.
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

You need to swap the transfer case to a 242 or 231 to have the 2WD option without removing the driveshaft each time. Look through the FAQ's, there's a link in there to email Chrysler. You'll get the build sheet from Chrysler telling you everything you want to know about your ZJm and more.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
jczj318
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
This statement does not make any sense. You must have a driveshaft if you want to switch to 4wd!!!

Sounds to me like the most important question you need answered is why is the front driveshaft removed in the first place. The answer is usually not pretty.
without having to remount the drive shaft each time i want to switch...
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
jczj318
1998 ZJ 

Also, is it unsafe to drive this vehicle without the front drive shaft mounted? I have seen one other topic that was similar, but it was inconclusive.
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Your VC in your 249 transfer case is going out. That's why it hops. Look for a 242 or 231 transcase.
You can put locking hubs in your jeep, Milemarker and Warn make them. But you will loose your ABS.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
jczj318
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermack View Post
Your VC in your 249 transfer case is going out. That's why it hops. Look for a 242 or 231 transcase.
You can put locking hubs in your jeep, Milemarker and Warn make them. But you will loose your ABS.
I have read that the VC wasn't used in this model jeep. And if I switch to a 242 or 231, is there anything I should know? Am I losing Quadra Trac AWD, and switching to a 4WD/2WD system?
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

249 is fulltime/AWD with power separated by a VC. When slipping occurs it sends power to the front which makes the system go 4wd/awd. When the VC goes it sends power to the front thus creating your wheel hop.

242 - 2wd, 4part-time (snow,mud, gravel, never on pavement), 4wd (anytime, hard on it pavement), and 4low (50/50 lock, offroad only).

Locking hubs why? If you think your gonna gain mileage you wont really. To switch to 4wd all you gotta do is shift transfer case at speeds any lower then 45-50 (except for 4-low).

There are tons of swaps done on here, search 242 Swap and you'll find answers to all your question.

Things you will need to do:
You will need to get drive shaft shortened
Switch a wire in the VIC (Vehicle Info Center) for the dash to read the correct mode
Buy new seal for rear tranny output
Could do seals on t-case
You will want a transfer case outta of 96-98 ZJ. usually paired with the 4.0

Recommendation:
I'd open the case and inspect it
Change fluid

Michigan Tech Jeepers Member #1
Greeeeenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
jczj318
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12982 View Post
You need to swap the transfer case to a 242 or 231 to have the 2WD option without removing the driveshaft each time. Look through the FAQ's, there's a link in there to email Chrysler. You'll get the build sheet from Chrysler telling you everything you want to know about your ZJm and more.
So, I've looked into some of my options, and I think I would like to swap out the TC for a 242 Select-Trac. How will I know if the one I am going to purchase will fit? Do the engine sizes have to match, or will a 98 GC 4.0, 242 Select-Trac TC not fit?
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

There is a good reason to switch to manual locking hubs, it keeps the front bearings from wear out in your d30. There are so many threads on here about worn out front axles. Is it worth the money, that could be debated. Since you can pick up another axle cheap, probably not. In the old days, all the trucks I ever owned had manual hubs, never replaced more than a pinion seal. Even with the TC in 2wd the drive shaft spins and wears out the pinion bearing. Otherwise no one on here would ever replace the pinion bearing, but everyone does.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
redfoxbody
1996 ZJ 

Locking hubs/unlocking would be sweet but they are a pretty penny.. IMO not worth it if you want to do it for any sort of MPG gain

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="White"][CENTER]Depressed about your car dent? dentszone.com[/CENTER] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=]Nice the legs in that last picture, almost makes you not think about the jeep.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=]My 16 year old little sister, you creep.[/QUOTE]
redfoxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #13
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermack View Post
There is a good reason to switch to manual locking hubs, it keeps the front bearings from wear out in your d30. There are so many threads on here about worn out front axles. Is it worth the money, that could be debated. Since you can pick up another axle cheap, probably not. In the old days, all the trucks I ever owned had manual hubs, never replaced more than a pinion seal. Even with the TC in 2wd the drive shaft spins and wears out the pinion bearing. Otherwise no one on here would ever replace the pinion bearing, but everyone does.
You have an excellent point, but I figured he was doing it because of MPGs, or the fact that his transfer case was blown. I opted for the MPGs.

Also judging by the fact he doesnt want to get out and use re-attach his drive shafts, I'm sure he doesnt want to get out and turn a hub.

Unread 10-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
jczj318
1998 ZJ 

This has been helpful, you guys have been great. As far as the locking hubs are concerned, I have not been able to find any for a Jeep Grand at all, let alone my specific model. Is there something I do not know when looking for them? Do I need the whole kit? And what price range are we talking here? I have never owned a car with locking hubs, is there anything I should know?

I do not not mind having to get out and lock them. I am just not very knowledgeable about them.
Unread 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczj318 View Post
This has been helpful, you guys have been great. As far as the locking hubs are concerned, I have not been able to find any for a Jeep Grand at all, let alone my specific model. Is there something I do not know when looking for them? Do I need the whole kit? And what price range are we talking here? I have never owned a car with locking hubs, is there anything I should know?

I do not not mind having to get out and lock them. I am just not very knowledgeable about them.

Well someone will correct me if im wrong.

You're gonna need U-joint front axles, and mostly likely you have CVs.
You will need a whole conversion kit.
Cost 600+ i think (just for kit)
If your not doing install add more $$

Tags
4wd , transfer case swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.