Locked out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Locked out

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-26-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Locked out

I made a boo boo yesterday. I just had my dvd (roof) player installed and took it to the carwash to get all the dust and such off of it...I left it running to towel it off and somehow the doors locked on me. Is there a way to get in a 96 jgc without the use of a coathanger and or breaking the glass. Please don't say go home and grab the spare keys...for the house key was in the jeep too. I had a duplicate made and hid it on the jeep but was just wondering if there were any tricks.

nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
midwest97gc

Call the cops and they can wedge the window and jimmy it.

Well that depends on where you live, some cops get pissed when they have to go break in a car for someone

That sucks... lol

Cassius
[COLOR=White]2" BB, Edelbrock Shocks, 31X10.5 A/T MT's on Stock Rims, Bump Extensions, Custom Skid Plates, De-pinstripped, De-badged, 5% tint ALL the way around, Yellow top battery, Grounding Kit, 200 Amp Alternator, (6) 10in JL Audio WO's, (2) JL Audio Slash 1000/1 Amps, Alpine IVA-D300 Headunit, MB Quart mids and highs all the way around, and the volume always at 100[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]JOIN [URL=http://www.norml.org/index.cfm]NORML[/URL] TODAY - FIGHTING TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA FOR RESPONSIBLE USERS[/COLOR]
midwest97gc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
jeepholic

So it's been at the carwash running since yesterday?

Any locksmith can open it for about $40....ok they can open it for free, but they charge for comming out.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
ben_wagner
1994 ZJ 

Just wondering. If for some reason you were in a locksmith's parking lot and locked your keys in your car, would they charge you for the 20 feet they had to walk?
ben_wagner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Nash,
To my knowledge, there is no trick to allow you to easily enter your locked Jeep. When I was single, I didn't have anybody to call for help (that didn't charge money), so I always carried a spare key in my wallet. That's a habit that continues to this day.

HTH
Unread 01-26-2005, 09:26 PM   #6
Interloper

I always carry 2 complete sets of keys for everything, plus a rather complicated plan 'B' which I can never remember.

"nobody cares what's underneath," ...Dieter Zetsche
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I have a spare key hidden somewere on the outside ofthe Jeep... but I wont tell you the location (Never can be too safe!)
Unread 01-27-2005, 01:40 AM   #8
Othoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine59
I have a spare key hidden somewere on the outside ofthe Jeep... but I wont tell you the location (Never can be too safe!)
Same here. Im a little paranoid when it comes to being locked out so I made a copy of my key even though I have a spare remote for my alarm.

[URL]http://www.cardomain.com/id/othoni[/URL]
Othoni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2005, 08:39 AM   #9
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Well and the key I have on the outside of the Jeep is NOT a transponder key so it will only get me into the Jeep it will not start it. So if someone where to find that key they could not take the Jeep...
Unread 01-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #10
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

funny story

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454
I made a boo boo yesterday. I just had my dvd (roof) player installed and took it to the carwash to get all the dust and such off of it...I left it running to towel it off and somehow the doors locked on me. Is there a way to get in a 96 jgc without the use of a coathanger and or breaking the glass. Please don't say go home and grab the spare keys...for the house key was in the jeep too. I had a duplicate made and hid it on the jeep but was just wondering if there were any tricks.
How ever did you get in? with the holdout spare?
I learned the hard way: several years ago my fiance (then) her sister and sis's husband Tommy went on a afternoon hike in the Smokies, we went up the Knotty Fork trail to Thomas Divide. I drove the Ol' Blue SJ and parked at the trailhead. We proceded to climb the trail and after about an hour Tommy came to me and said,"let me have your keys, I have to back to the Jeep, I can't hold it" So, I gave him the keys and he took off down the trail. We then decided we should head back also. About halfway down the trail Tommy came climbing out of a Rhododendron Hell (thick thicket of rhododendron). He sheepishly told us that he couldn't make it all the way and had to dive off the trail and releive himself (#2, very moist). I saw his underpants hanging in a rhododendron 50 feet away. I said, "no harm done, can I have my keys back?" He patted his pockets but no keys. He and his wife dove back into the rhododendron hell and searched for the keys for a half hour, but no luck. Fortunately, I had an extra car and house key in my wallet, but I lost safe depost box key, luggage key, and several padlock keys. We renamed the trail "I Knotty make it" to "Thomas' Decline." I Now carry a full second set of keys (less fob) in case "someone" needs to borrow them. And, I jingle.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2005, 10:01 AM   #11
Jayrod586

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454
I had a duplicate made and hid it on the jeep but was just wondering if there were any tricks.
Was this after this incident? Or was this already on there? Just curious cuz everyone was wondering how you got in, but I took it as that you already had that key on there.

Yeah, I've got one hidden outside the Jeep. My parents know how that can suck, and since I was moving 3 and half hours away to college, they wanted to cover that base. My friend and his girlfriend had to drive about an hour and half back home cuz his mother locked her keys in the car... I guess he had a key???
Jayrod586 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2005, 10:16 AM   #12
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod586
<snip> My friend and his girlfriend had to drive about an hour and half back home cuz his mother locked her keys in the car... I guess he had a key???

It is not uncommon to give a set of keys to a friend or relative so that if you get stuck across town, you have someone that will bring some keys to you.
Unread 01-27-2005, 11:27 AM   #13
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

To answer all of your q's I did get in. A lady (hot) drove to a jiffy lube and borrowed a coat hanger...I pried the door and low and behold I was able to get the hangar to work. I did have another lady offer to give me a ride to my home to get the spare but the house key was in the jeep; along with my phone and wallet. I have since made 2 spares of both and mounted a magnet key holder somewhere on the rig. I used 2 self tapping screws to insure the magnet box doesn't fall off with bumps. For you out in Michigan...I would never drive all the way out there just to look for your hiding the key spot...so your secret is safe. I had no phone book on me so I wasn't able to call a locksmith and was no where near a phone either....I just had to wait for people to come and wash their cars. I won't be making that mistake again...and if I do I now have 2 back up plans with the spares.
Thanks for the info and not laughing to hard at me.
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2005, 11:45 AM   #14
Jayrod586

It's been a while, I wonder if my hidden key is still there...

I did do some pretty rough off roading once and it was still there...
Jayrod586 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.