Locating a problem with the heated seats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Locating a problem with the heated seats

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-02-2003, 01:53 PM   #1
Fisher
1985 CJ7 

Locating a problem with the heated seats

-Hey-
I have a 96 GC. when I turn the heated seats on the light on the display comes on, but I get no heat from the seats. Does anybody know what steps I should take to track the problem down?

Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 06:31 PM   #2
Steven

I can give you my experiences with my Lincoln Town Car.

The upper and lower seats are connected through small vein-like wire patches (in my Lincoln). To make matters worse, the heater pads are individually connected via tiny vein-like wires.

Over time, bending, bouncing, etc these wires crack in places that are nearly impossible to trace down. But it can be done !! Once the break is found it can be cut out and replaced with a better section of flexible wire.

FoMoCo takes that to the next level of misery by gluing the whole electrical system to the leather, covering that with injection foam, and... well you can imagine the rest. But it can be done !!

Diagnosis (in my Lincoln).
1) Check the fuses in accordance with the manual (breakers ??)
2) There is most likely a small solenoid under the seat(s) that "clicks" very faintly as the power is applied to the heaters. If this solenoid sound is heard and there's no heat, the problem is in the seat. If the solenoid never "clicks" the problem is between the lighted switch and the solenoid.
(in my Lincoln)

Sorry, I don't have heated seats in my wife's GC !!
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2003, 01:35 AM   #3
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

There is a TSB/fix for this. This TSB is the most comon thing that goes wrong with the seat heater. However, it sometimes is the main relay on the underside/side of the seat.

Do you hear the relay kick on when you flip the switch? If so, it's probably not that.

The fix is pretty easy if your inclined to doing miner sodering. In the TSB they list the procedure on how to check the heaters in the seat cushon. http://home.sc.rr.com/janet/TSB/08-03-99.htm

The kits are about $15 a piece at the dealer.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.