A little help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A little help?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Southside_T_A

A little help?

A little background to start with. This isnt my jeep but rather a customer's (I run a small shop) and I recently installed, against my better judgement, a 3.5 inch Iron Rock lift kit. After we installed the lift we couldn't align it because the rear tires were offset close to 2 inches to one side. I advised my customer to purchase a rear trac bar after talking to Iron Rock and them telling me that it shouldn't have been off that far. He purchased it and it was installed and the rear end now sits centered under the vehicle. He has since decided he wants to run 33x12.50 R15's on it. I did a test fit and let him know that the best way to proceed was to purchase adjustable rear trailing arms. I want to make sure this is done the proper way since he is a young kid and uses this as a daily driver as well as doing some light off roading. The new trailing arms are here and I am getting ready to install them, but my question is, how much should I move the rear axle back to get the tires to fit, with clearance? I originally did some measurements and came up to about 3 inches would get the axle centered in the wheel well. Then I started checking online and found people were having to do alot of work to move the rear axles. Like moving fuel tanks and upper shock mounts and the like. So If I move the rear axle 2 inches will that give me the clearance needed without having to remove the tank and all the other stuff that comes with it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Southside_T_A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

33's are too big for 3.5" especially off road but whatever. The tire should not be centered. It should be close to the rocker. When the rear suspension compresses the axle and tire do not go straight up, it rotates rearward and up. By centering the tire in the wheel well it will hit the rear bumper when its compressed. You can have the tire as close to the rocker as 1 finger space. Here is my last ZJ at 4.5"-5". You can see how close the rear tire was and it never ever touched.
4.5-32-copy.jpg

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
kachink
1998 ZJ 

In the stickied FAQ post there is a chart that shows the minimum lift and wheel backspacing required for different size tires. 33x12.5 shows a 4.5" lift.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

33's will fit but it will be tight and they will eat the fenders off road without cutting. So it will basically be for looks.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

more confused on how a shop didn't know that certain tire size won't fit depending on lifts, much less that they shouldn't be centered for an offroading vehicle. Or why you think installing a 3.5" IRO lift was a bad idea or "against your judgement" but hey, he paid you not us.

But yea, stickied and the track bar was the right call for centering the axle left to right, but CA's would be what needs to push the axle back, but that's not the issue here. Trim the fenders is the best solution IMO.
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Sounds like you've done the right thing, if he got the base level iro kit that would explain why the axle was so off. Do what polka said to position the axle in the rear. Maybe add some bumpstops so his 33s don't destroy his finders completely.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
3.5" lift , 33x12.5 r15 , control arm , grand cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.