Limited slip recommendations wanted - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Limited slip recommendations wanted

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-30-2003, 07:35 AM   #1
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Limited slip recommendations wanted

I am assuming that my 96 5.2 limited has open differentials, and I am very interested in converting to limited slip. According to the buildsheet The rear axle is a Dana 44/226MM and the axle ratio is 3.73. There is no mention of the front, so I have no idea what it is. First, do I really want to put LSD in both differentials, or is it common to only do the rear? I feel the stock final ratio is suitable for my driving needs and have no wish to change it. Since money is always an issue, I imagine I will have to do the rear swap first, then the front. What LSD would you recommend?

Unread 12-30-2003, 08:13 AM   #2
ZickZJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
I am assuming that my 96 5.2 limited has open differentials, and I am very interested in converting to limited slip. According to the buildsheet The rear axle is a Dana 44/226MM and the axle ratio is 3.73. There is no mention of the front, so I have no idea what it is. First, do I really want to put LSD in both differentials, or is it common to only do the rear? I feel the stock final ratio is suitable for my driving needs and have no wish to change it. Since money is always an issue, I imagine I will have to do the rear swap first, then the front. What LSD would you recommend?

Well unfortunatly for us w/ the V8 you are going to have a hard time finding a aftermarket limited slip or even a locker because the D44 you have under your grand is actually the D44a (aluminum housing) and is only found under GC's. The only LS that I know of is the factory Trac-loc and for lockers (lunchbox) is from Lock-Right, Aussie, and I think theirs one more
What size tires are you planning on running? The D44a isn't that strong of an axle especially when you start getting over 33"s.
Are you positive that you have an open diff? Also the front will be the D30 which quite a few companies make LSD for those. Detroits are pretty good IMO.

97' ZJ, SOLD
ZickZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2003, 10:39 AM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZickZJ
Well unfortunatly for us w/ the V8 you are going to have a hard time finding a aftermarket limited slip or even a locker because the D44 you have under your grand is actually the D44a (aluminum housing) and is only found under GC's. The only LS that I know of is the factory Trac-loc and for lockers (lunchbox) is from Lock-Right, Aussie, and I think theirs one more
What size tires are you planning on running? The D44a isn't that strong of an axle especially when you start getting over 33"s.
Are you positive that you have an open diff? Also the front will be the D30 which quite a few companies make LSD for those. Detroits are pretty good IMO.
Well, I'm not positive they are open. I have crawled under and looked (it was late afternoon and snowing) but was unable to read anything. I failed to see a tag that identified either one as LSD. I am changing the shocks today so will take the opportunity to look again.
I plan on sticking with the stock 223/70R16's. I do a lot of highway driving between home and work (388 miles one way) but my neighborhood is somewhat mountainous and my driveway qualifies as off-road
Good to know that information on the Dana's, thanks!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.