limited slip diff additive??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > limited slip diff additive???

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
painted600rr
1999 WJ 

limited slip diff additive???

just need to know how much limited slip diff additive to put in my wj. front diff

painted600rr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
painted600rr
1999 WJ 

i guess no ones ever changed their fluids
painted600rr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

For the front, it's 2.5 - 3 oz if you have QD, otherwise it's zero.
Unread 03-08-2009, 04:18 AM   #4
sandman
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted600rr View Post
i guess no ones ever changed their fluids
i guess your a smart *** and have no patients. seriously you didnt even wait a half an hour for a response, calm down.
Unread 03-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
cloiselle
2001 WJ 

what if you've used a diff oil such as " severe gear " by amsoil that has some FM already in it, use a little less and test it out to begin with ?

i'm having some lock up front and rear in tight turns with the S G oil alone, was considering adding 1/2 an oz to both front and rear , driving it and checking it out .. adding more ( 1/2 oz at a time ) until the limited slip stopped binding on tight radius turns.... sound like a reasonable method ?
cloiselle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloiselle View Post
what if you've used a diff oil such as " severe gear " by amsoil that has some FM already in it, use a little less and test it out to begin with ?

i'm having some lock up front and rear in tight turns with the S G oil alone, was considering adding 1/2 an oz to both front and rear , driving it and checking it out .. adding more ( 1/2 oz at a time ) until the limited slip stopped binding on tight radius turns.... sound like a reasonable method ?
How are you testing/experiencing this "lock up?"

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted600rr View Post
just need to know how much limited slip diff additive to put in my wj. front diff
Only your front diff? If you have quadradrive, you have front and rear ls diffs. Your owner's manual tells you how much mopar stuff to add, or you can just order up some Amsoil severe gear, which already has it included in the mix.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
cloiselle
2001 WJ 

both of them are locking up, pulling into a parking space and and slowing down at a sharp turn angle causes one front tired to skid momentarily dpending on left or right turn... and it's not from hard braking .. rear end in tight circles makes a whirring / moaning noise that never happened before with the stock mopar oil and FM. also the outer tire leaves a nice little rubber trail , it's not being allow to spin quicker than the inside wheel...

has to be this lack of fm in the severe gear i've switched too .. i didnt break anything while it was on the lift getting changed to amsoil ! thats for sure
Unread 03-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
cloiselle
2001 WJ 

i have severe gear, still getting some noises and binding in TIGHT circles with it.

doesnt do much on normal turns and regular driving, do a figure eight and you WILL hear it ! : (

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.