Likely failing CV axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Likely failing CV axle

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Likely failing CV axle

So while turning right sharply at high speeds (35+), I can hear a rhythmic rubbing sound. I know CV axles click when they need to be replaced, but this is less of a click and more a rubbing noise. If necessary I could probably capture the sound with a camera.

My question is, does this still sound like a possible explanation? And is there a specific brand of CV axle I should look for? I read somewhere of someone using Moog axles but I'm unable to find any on rockauto.

Thanks!

RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Is the boot ripped?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

Hmm..I would also look at the hub bearing....
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Is the boot ripped?
No, but there is pretty much no grease in there. I can move the boot and expose the internals easily.
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba974 View Post
Hmm..I would also look at the hub bearing....
How would one go about checking that?
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
BigDaveZJ
1995 ZJ 

I would lean towards the hub too. One method is to jack that wheel off the ground, grab it at 6 and 12 and give it a good shake, similar to testing for ball joints. Unit bearings are pretty easy to place, although based on your location I would invest in some PB Blaster to get it all apart. In addition to the tools needed to get the wheel and brake caliper off, you will also need a 36mm socket, and a 12pt 13mm socket and/or wrench. If you don't have air tools, my recommendation would be to take the wheel off, and before you take the caliper off, loosen the 36mm hub nut. Easiest to do that with the brake on, and having a helper use the brakes to hold everything in place while you go at the 36mm hub nut with a breaker bar, which you will need if you don't have air tools. A hi-lift handle is a good substitute if you don't have a breaker bar.
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

A little FYI..if you don't have a helper to hold the brakes, take a heavy screwdriver, and insert it into the rotor and brace it against the caliper braket...this makes geting the hub nut on and off...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Ok everyone, I've got all the info I need. Thanks, and I'll look into it when I get some more funding...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.