Lifts. pros and cons - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lifts. pros and cons

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-14-2002, 10:24 PM   #1
ALS59LTD
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lifts. pros and cons

I'm thinking about lifting my jeep to stuff some bigger tires on it. I'm wondering about the Pros and Cons about having it lifted. How does the lift affect roll in turns? Does anyone have any links to good articles? Please tell me about your experiences with your lifted ZJ. Thanks for the help.

Unread 11-15-2002, 12:24 AM   #2
Dude236

obviously you get better ground clearance with a lift, appearance is boosted big, how ever you sacrifice body roll, especially when using spacers. you wont be able to take turns as fast, and offroad tires will never handle as well as your current street tires, but to most of us here its a small sacrifice if your gonna wheel it.
Dude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 08:01 AM   #3
JeepGuyRyan

Not to mention that the GC just doesn't seem to look too well lifted.. I'd have to say the only Jeep that looks well with a lift on it would have to be the Wrangler. Just my opinion though.
Unread 11-15-2002, 05:34 PM   #4
ALS59LTD
2003 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the response guys, looks like i'm going to leave it stock height for now. I spoke to a friend that worked as a mechanic for a jeep dealership and he was strongly opposed to lifting my jeep. He told me it would "shake itself apart". I'm not sure how true that is but i can find other ways to spend money on my jeep, maybe invest in some new shocks and tires instead. thanks again -Al
Unread 11-15-2002, 09:07 PM   #5
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

opinion of an XJ owner

In my opinion,

ANY jeep looks good lifted. Granted I haven't seen too many WJs lifted but I have seen a few ZJs and they looked great. Don't let other people (especially non-jeep owners) talk you out of lifting it. If you really want it then go for it. I had some friends try and talk me out of lifting my Cherokee. Some of the things they say will be true like getting less gas mileage. Other things they say will be total BS like that "shake itself apart" comment. Death wobble is a potential problem but it can be corrected. As long as you educate yourself before doing it to find out what CAN go wrong and if it does what action will you take, you will be ok. Another thing people will say is that it will be too dangerous and will roll-over. Well that is half true and half BS. True your center of gravity is higher so yes the risk of a roll-over is higher. However, if you drive it like a lifted jeep and not a sportscar it is safe. Its the people who drive the little Geo Metros that say its dangerous. Dangerous for them maybe

I'm very glad I lifted mine and would do it again in a heartbeat.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 10:37 PM   #6
Cajunzj

I agree with Eric. If you want to lift it, don't listen to non jeep owners, most of them don't understand. I had a 2 inch RE lift for awhile before I went to 5 and I loved it. With only a BB the overall performace will say about the same, and you can fit 30's or 31's with little or no trimming, and it will look a hella lot tougher. Try to get away from the whole soccer mom look. If you really want to start wheeling it, look into a 3-4.5 lift, but do your research and find the lift that's right for you. Dealership guys (most of them) don't know jack. I just had my Jeep dealer try to tell me my cylinder was blown and needed a new block. Idoits. Also check out NAGCA, the guys there might be able to help out so more too.
Unread 11-17-2002, 10:44 AM   #7
ALS59LTD
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The main reason I wanted to lift my jeep was to fit some bigger tires on it. My camaro has bigger tires than what came with my jeep. Do i have to go down to a 15" rim to fit most size tires? Do you guys have any good links to info on Budget Boosts, like somewhere online i could order it? Could you guys that have them post about your experience with them? Thanks again, -Al
Unread 11-17-2002, 11:30 AM   #8
BEATERCJ
1981 CJ5 

i have the tera buget boost. Not a bad item i would sooner have spent the money on the full kit springs and all.. they handel better then with the buget boost.a buddy of mine made a long arm kit for his 98 and it looks great . going down the highway at 70mph the grand rides like a stocker and the handeling is better then mine with the tera buget boost. he has 7 1/2 inches of lift and 33 on the jeep...

2002 grand, 1995 yj, 81cj5, 53m38,looking for a willys truck, 2003 rubicon edition on the way yee haa 03 rubi died a moose wanted a closer look... bought a 08jk two door. Ox front locker soon to be detriot rear...
BEATERCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 02:39 PM   #9
Cajunzj

RE, tera, rusty's, really all the big brands have a BB. You can just the spacers, or spacers and shocks. I just had the spacers when I put mine on. Daystar sells the spacers for pretty cheap. Also alot of companies make tires for 16.5's but my advice is to find a TJ with some aftermarket wheels and see if he'll sell his orginal 15' rims. I got some TJ grizzly's on mine and it looks great.
Unread 11-17-2002, 06:31 PM   #10
BEATERCJ
1981 CJ5 

first off in 98 they changed the bolt pattern from 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5 so only a few rims fit.. and second ya cannot get a rim smaller then 16 over the brake calipers....

2002 grand, 1995 yj, 81cj5, 53m38,looking for a willys truck, 2003 rubicon edition on the way yee haa 03 rubi died a moose wanted a closer look... bought a 08jk two door. Ox front locker soon to be detriot rear...
Unread 11-17-2002, 06:36 PM   #11
Cajunzj

15's fit on mine with no problem. It looks alittle close but doesn't touch the brakes.
Unread 11-17-2002, 10:03 PM   #12
BEATERCJ
1981 CJ5 

okay 99 and newer they changed the bolt pattern and the size of the brakes so 15's wont bolt on. the old body style 98 and older will fit the 15's

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.