Lifting Zj help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lifting Zj help

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #16
sharpie54
1995 ZJ 

Yes thank you. Honestly I might just go with keeping the 3 inch lift and trimming the fenders and tucking 33's? What do you guys thing? Or trim down the coil spacer so it's 4 inches of lift?

sharpie54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #17
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Without trimming sheet metal, 33s will rub the rear quarter panel near the door on stock control arms. Front might also, I can't comment. 32s can be run on 4" and stock CAs all day, just not the best. Adjustable track bars and proper wheel back spacing will help minimize rubbing.
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #18
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Decide what tire size you want, figure out how much fender you want to trim, then see how much lift you need. You can browse the lifted zjs thread and read the specs to get ideas
Unread 03-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #19
sharpie54
1995 ZJ 

Well I'm hoping 33's or 32's. I will trip sheet metel if I have to. Or just trim my spacers for 4.5-4 inch lift and tuck 33's with a little trimming. I just want avoid putting all the money and time into adjustable arms and all that stuff. Rather have a safe dd and trail rig that will ride decent
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #20
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Just make sure everything suspension and steering related are in great condition. You're adding strain and, if you're like me, abuse to old worn out parts.

Adjustable arms will allow you to dial everything in, for the best and safest handling and less fender trimming. Plus they will replace your worn out stock bushings.

As far as a decent ride, quality of shocks will go a long way
Unread 03-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #21
Vertical4
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie54 View Post
Hi im new to this forum. I have a 1995 jeep grand Cherokee Orvis edition. Just bought it a few months back for $500. Has 160,000 miles and a 5.2 v8. Already has a 3 inch coil lift. I'm putting another 3 inch bb lift on soon. I plan on getting front upper adjustable arms and a front adjustable track bar as soon as I put the lift on. Its going to be my dd and a little off-roading on the weekends. Nothing serious. What else MUST I need? I'm doing the cv front driveshaft swap to U-Joint. Just wondering what else im missing?
Right now on my 93' ZJ I have a 7'' lift with long arm kit (very pricey) with 33s and I out wheel guys with 37s! BUT, if you want to have a big truck and fit 33s I personally recommend you look into a 4.5'' Rubicon Express lift kit. It will give you an aggressive jeep look and be able to fit 33s without having to trim your fenders. 33x12.5 tires can be fit with a 4.5 inch lift. When using a tire of this size, the rear begins to become a slight problem. A few have taken to trimming the area right behind the rear door, since from the factory, that is made as just 'dead space'. Another option is to move the axle back with adjustable control arms, but depending on the move, a new rear driveshaft may be required, or if going too far back, then rubbing may become a problem at full compression in the rear (the axle moves back as it compresses because of the way the control arms work). Feel free to ask anymore questions!

-Jim at Vertical4

[url]www.vertical4.com[/url]
Vertical4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #22
sharpie54
1995 ZJ 

Yea thanks for the comments. But what should I do. I know it's ok to have 4.5 inches of lift with minor work and over that is opening a whole new can of worms. I'm thing just to get 4-4.5 iches of lift with adjustable track bars and adjustable front upper adjustable arms. I'm not getting any other arms....way to much $$$. Give me your guess's opinion on 4.5 inches of lift and 33' tires
Unread 03-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #23
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

You'll have to trim
Unread 03-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #24
sharpie54
1995 ZJ 

Yea I figured I will have to. But the other question I have is what year and model jeep will I have to take a front diff yoke out of and front driveshaft out of to do the cv to u-joint swap?
Unread 03-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #25
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

My 96 v8 had a rezeppa joint stock, I pulled the u joint yoke and driveshaft from a 96 v8
Unread 03-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #26
sharpie54
1995 ZJ 

Mines a 95 v8. Just hoping I can find a driveshaft that will fit
Unread 03-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #27
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie54 View Post
Mines a 95 v8. Just hoping I can find a driveshaft that will fit
You do not want a repezza cv shaft. You want a U joint drive shaft and U joint yoke from a 93-early 95 ZJ. Measure. You will want rear adj control arms to set the pinion angle too.

In the rear the pinion angle should be parallel to the t case output and in the front the pinion needs to point right at the t case input.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #28
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
In the rear the pinion angle should be parallel to the t case output and in the front the pinion needs to point right at the t case input.
I think you've got this backwards
Unread 03-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #29
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs View Post
I think you've got this backwards
I know that I do not. Top is for the rear, bottom is for the front.
screen-shot-2014-03-22-2.30.42-pm.png

screen-shot-2014-03-22-2.31.04-pm.png

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #30
sharpie54
1995 ZJ 

He does have it backwards. Rear angle is fine. It's all about front pinion angle which I a why I'm getting front adj. arms. And that's what I'm trying to say...I WANT u-joint driveshaft NOT cv. Lol

Tags
adjustable control arms , lift advice , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.