Lifting Zj help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lifting Zj help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 03-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
sharpie54
1995 ZJ 

Lifting Zj help

Hi im new to this forum. I have a 1995 jeep grand Cherokee Orvis edition. Just bought it a few months back for $500. Has 160,000 miles and a 5.2 v8. Already has a 3 inch coil lift. I'm putting another 3 inch bb lift on soon. I plan on getting front upper adjustable arms and a front adjustable track bar as soon as I put the lift on. Its going to be my dd and a little off-roading on the weekends. Nothing serious. What else MUST I need? I'm doing the cv front driveshaft swap to U-Joint. Just wondering what else im missing?

sharpie54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

A 3" BB on top of 3" springs is going to ride like a burnt turd. Ditch the spacers. If you want 6" of lift to ride nice for a DD on short arms you better break out the Jacksons and don't stop until there are around 12 of them.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie54 View Post
Just wondering what else im missing?
Expect to spend about $1200-$1500 to do this.

All 8 adjustable control arms, all new shocks, adjustable front and rear trackbars, bumpstop extensions, probably front brake lines, misc steering components.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Vertical4
2014 JK Wrangler 

Feel free to browse around our webtsite and see if there is anything that interests you in completing you build! Let me know if you have any further questions or comments on any parts.

-Jim at Vertical4

[url]www.vertical4.com[/url]
Vertical4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
sharpie54
1995 ZJ 

I just need to know what I need. I'm only 18 and I drive to school and back so I really don't care about ride quality. Which arms MUST I need to drive? I know front upper for pinion angle, and I know front adjustable track bar for centering the axle. My shocks are for 4-8 inch lift, I have brake line extensions already. Thanks
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

- Front and rear upper/lower adjustable control arms
- Rear adjustable trackbar.
- Longer swaybar links
- Proper lift springs for your desired height
- Since you can't run without it, you will need to swap the driveshaft to a ujoint style. You either need to swap the yoke at the diff or get the adapter plate
Unread 03-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
nnovickzj
1997 ZJ 

why do you want to lift it another 3 inches?
nnovickzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
RangeDrive
1998 ZJ 

Ok I'm from a small country town where the higher the truck the more of a man you are so I see where your coming from but still why not run 3.5 with 33s and call it a day. 6 plus inches of lift is alittle extreme don't you think?
RangeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeDrive View Post
Ok I'm from a small country town where the higher the truck the more of a man you are so I see where your coming from but still why not run 3.5 with 33s and call it a day. 6 plus inches of lift is alittle extreme don't you think?
For a DD, he might not want to do extensive body modification.
Unread 03-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
RangeDrive
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut
For a DD, he might not want to do extensive body modification.
point taken, didn't think about that
RangeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
sharpie54
1995 ZJ 

I've know many jeep guys who got away with 5-6 inches of lift without all 8 adjustable control arms. And because 6 inches looks the best. I don't like the look of 3 inches at all. Don't want to cut the body at all either. It's gonna be a mall crawler more than anything. I'm used to a horrible ride quality any ways so I really don't care about that
Unread 03-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

ZJs are much different than other Jeep models, the things listed are needed.

If you want a Jeep to run 33s cheaply, pick up a TJ or YJ. ZJ and XJ models are going to be much more to lift.

Even if you decide to go without most of the proper parts, the driveshaft replacement is not optional. Removing the front shaft is not an option on your Jeep.
Unread 03-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
sharpie54
1995 ZJ 

Yes I know. I stated in my very first thread comment that I was changing my cv shaft to ujoint first off. But thanks. I'm obviously on a budget and plan on having all the adjustable arms, but first off I will only be able to afford front uppers, which are the most important
Unread 03-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Do you know what happens to the axles when you lift a ZJ that high without having all adjustable control arms?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #15
nnovickzj
1997 ZJ 

wait till you have all the adjustable arms then put the pucks in 8 adjustable arms is really the minimum for 6 inches of lift on a zj you should really have long arms but we understand that your not going to pay for them so we gave you the cheapest option the bare minimum both track bars adjustable arms spring post extensions the drive shaft and sway bar links you asked for what you needed and the people here who together know everything about your jeep answered with your budget in mind.
nnovickzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
adjustable control arms , lift advice , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.